Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: .338 Lapua build... thoughts?

OK, I haven't got one, haven't built one so cant speak from experience.

This sort of heavy duty hunting rifle would be quite complimentary to a lighter weight short North Island bushpig. 338 Lapua has better ballistics than the African cartridges, for our conditions; being unbelted, has arguably better reloading potential than 7mmRemMag and 300 WinMag and apparently better barrel life than the big 7mms. For a hunting rifle you do want barrel life, to build up enough experience to use it well on animals. Supply of off the shelf factory ammo, brass and standard loading data also favour the 338LM over ballistically superior wildcats. For hunting you are looking for first shot hit probabilities (>90%) at medium ranges (300-600m) in high wind, difficult range finding situations. A few people say they achieve this but more hunters would have the odds tilted in their favour if they use a big cartridge. So, it does make sense as an open country South Island hunting cartridge, which is the OP's application. The extra KE is also useful for the biggest or toughest animals here, Wapiti Sambar and Tahr. A bull tahr's front legs are the size of a red stag's hindquarters.

Scope is critical and if NZ durability and weight are important but cost is not, I would start with a S&B 5-20 compact. What would you mount under it ?

The rifle itself is simple. Your mate needs a top notch, proven tough, reliable and accurate hunting rifle. Sako make a long range model 85 in a special 338LM action. I'd suggest this would be better for hunting than a precision target rifle type action like the defiance. The model 85 is 100% the best all round action for New Zealand conditions. I once hired a Sako made from a 270 TRG-S (Robbie Tiffen) and it was good. But the 85 action is better and you can get one brand new. Optilock mounts are now available for 34mm rings but you might need to do some homework on the mounting length for the compact 5-20 scope. The 3-20 might fit better. This rifle comes with a heavy laminate stock so you could save weight by buying an aftermarket carbon stock. Fitting a different sized action that the stock wasn't designed for isn't trivial, so that will need some care. This model does come with a muzzle brake.

Well, that was a good exercise.

I hope .338 stays legal and good luck with your mates build.

Personally, I believe that if you have the skills to reach out to a mile with a .50 or .338, then anyone with their head above the parapet at 500m should be very afraid of .223 being legal. It's not all about the round, or the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    I've built 2 of them on Sako 995 (TRGs) actions, (1 from .270 and 1 from 25/06) steel aplenty in bolt and action of decent quality, both wound up being 1/2 moa capable. That action if you can get one, was actually designed for the big magnums,(specifically the TRG 338 Lapua) but a bunch got turned into standard actions cause they were available and wanted.
    I've just built a 338 on a 995, unfortunately just as all this was happening so i hope it stays legal.
    @257weatherby you don't have any 995 parts do you? They aren't that easy to find

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post

This sort of heavy duty hunting rifle would be quite complimentary to a lighter weight short North Island bushpig. 338 Lapua has better ballistics than the African cartridges, for our conditions; being unbelted, has arguably better reloading potential than 7mmRemMag and 300 WinMag and apparently better barrel life than the big 7mms. For a hunting rifle you do want barrel life, to build up enough experience to use it well on animals. Supply of off the shelf factory ammo, brass and standard loading data also favour the 338LM over ballistically superior wildcats. For hunting you are looking for first shot hit probabilities (>90%) at medium ranges (300-600m) in high wind, difficult range finding situations. A few people say they achieve this but more hunters would have the odds tilted in their favour if they use a big cartridge. So, it does make sense as an open country South Island hunting cartridge, which is the OP's application. The extra KE is also useful for the biggest or toughest animals here, Wapiti Sambar and Tahr. A bull tahr's front legs are the size of a red stag's hindquarters.

Scope is critical and if NZ durability and weight are important but cost is not, I would start with a S&B 5-20 compact. What would you mount under it ?

The rifle itself is simple. Your mate needs a top notch, proven tough, reliable and accurate hunting rifle. Sako make a long range model 85 in a special 338LM action. I'd suggest this would be better for hunting than a precision target rifle type action like the defiance. The model 85 is 100% the best all round action for New Zealand conditions. I once hired a Sako made from a 270 TRG-S (Robbie Tiffen) and it was good. But the 85 action is better and you can get one brand new. Optilock mounts are now available for 34mm rings but you might need to do some homework on the mounting length for the compact 5-20 scope. The 3-20 might fit better. This rifle comes with a heavy laminate stock so you could save weight by buying an aftermarket carbon stock. Fitting a different sized action that the stock wasn't designed for isn't trivial, so that will need some care. This model does come with a muzzle brake.

.338 lapua improved with 5-20

The big 30 is the new 338 these days,
    I have owned an improved and since then bought a trg42 in 338L and then turned that into a 300L magnum.
    What I have found is way less recoil which makes it way nicer to shoot, way cheaper on projectiles with very similar results ballisticaly to the .338 with less fuss.
    Todd hodnett is now advocating and using the 300 norma magnum out to over 2k with first round hits on game.
    There are some great podcasts from him regarding this.
    Generally the limitation is not the chambering but the ability of the shooter to be able to get the the ballistics and wind call spot on.
    That's where the Christmas tree reticles come into play but that's another story!
    That's my 2cents anyway,

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    gadgetman, mikee and stevodog like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by hillclima View Post
    I've just built a 338 on a 995, unfortunately just as all this was happening so i hope it stays legal.
    @257weatherby you don't have any 995 parts do you? They aren't that easy to find

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Sorry, no - I only lug standard cartridges about these days, would have another 995 if I could get one though.
    hillclima likes this.

The venerable 300WM is still the sniper rifle of choice for US military (more common in use than 338LM). The new 210 and 230 gn pills breathing new life into 300WM. But if you're going down that track (30cal mag) then the 300NM is getting some great press

Caretaker

Name:  A173B222-260B-45DB-8113-0F10AC2DF4B5.jpeg
Views: 889
Size:  4.32 MB
    BRADS and shift14 like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

I have a 338 lapua magnum built on a remington 700 action with a HS precision stock and also a MDT chassis. It has a 30 inch carbon fibre proof research barrel with a Terminator T4 muzzle brake. Timney Calvin Elite trigger etc etc. Its a puppy to shoot recoil wise and punches 3x 300 grain bergers into one stretched hole at 100mtrs. For me as a long range hunting rifle it has far more capability than I do and no animal has ever had time to flinch or reply
    Kiwi Greg likes this.

Thanks for thosenice photos SAUM and MSL. It occurred to me after putting that post that the 5-20 compact with its illumination band is really best with a one piece mount and a rail which is not so good for the sako 85. and it will be too Short to reach across the long action. My 3-12 is just right over the S action (7mm08). a hunting scope like the Leupold VX6 would be much more Feasible.

It’s good to see two such nice long range hunting rifles - food for seventeenths mate.

Thanks for the feed back and ideas team as it's all much appreciated.

My mate is keen only for a .338 Lapua so he's still looking for ideas. It'll be used ALOT in the north Island where he's from and there's no shortage of deer where it'll be used.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Thanks for the feed back and ideas team as it's all much appreciated.

My mate is keen only for a .338 Lapua so he's still looking for ideas. It'll be used ALOT in the north Island where he's from and there's no shortage of deer where it'll be used.
    Then buy a Sako 85LR, TRG, M10, Blaser Tac, Rem 700P, XCR, Savage etc, they are cheap enough....apart from the M10 ...beautiful firearm though

LOC
    Thanks for thosenice photos SAUM and MSL. It occurred to me after putting that post that the 5-20 compact with its illumination band is really best with a one piece mount and a rail which is not so good for the sako 85. and it will be too Short to reach across the long action. My 3-12 is just right over the S action (7mm08). a hunting scope like the Leupold VX6 would be much more Feasible.

It’s good to see two such nice long range hunting rifles - food for seventeenths mate.
    I have a 338 Sako 85 long range and put a canted Near rail on it to fix this issue. Works well
    shift14 likes this.