Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: 338LM Suppressor? Whats the one to get?

Ejected
    I totally agree with you James in a hunting situation, but sometimes I just want to shoot shit all day and even with hearing protection the concussive effect sometimes gets to you.
    I LOVE the noise most times, neighbours and live stock not so much.
    Interesting about Hardy Cans not making the grade as Gary at MAE came back with an offer of $1200 for a sample one which still comes with life time warranty. Just got to decide if I shoot it enough to justify that kind of money.

Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    I totally agree with you James in a hunting situation, but sometimes I just want to shoot shit all day and even with hearing protection the concussive effect sometimes gets to you.
    Interesting about Hardy Cans not making the grade as Gary at MAE came back with an offer of $1200 for a sample one which still comes with life time warranty. Just got to decide if I shoot it enough to justify that kind of money.
    Different brake designs have varying amounts of noise & concussive effects.

Because of this some are "nicer" to shoot than others.

They will all reduce recoil more effectively than a suppressor.

They will all be very loud, good hearing protection is mandatory.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nibblet View Post
    Kinda cool standing behind the wash of a big gun. Can imagine after a while it loses the novelty.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Ultimately the only way a brake can reduce recoil is by venting the gas towards the shooter. Un-braked, or suppressed, the gasses vent directly away from the shooter, and they push the rifle back onto you like a rocket. Even if gases are vented out sideways, not backwards, its still more towards the shooter than un-braked.

A brake is a simple thing. There are many angles you could tweak to improve the way it handles the recoil, and to improve how nice the rifle is to shoot, but all of them involve venting gasses back towards the shooter.

There is no way you can spin it where a brake will be nicer, in terms of noise and percussion than a suppressor.

Its a matter of personal preference. A whack in the shoulder, or better yet, a shove, has never been an issue for me as far a shooting goes. It does not cause me to flinch. Noise/percussion on the other hand is a major issue. I have caught myself flinching with a 17HMR when shooting it beside a wall, where I was copping a bit of a racket.

Almost the first post of yours is can agree with for once, things will never be the same again :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2

Ultimately the only way a brake can reduce recoil is by venting the gas towards the shooter. Un-braked, or suppressed, the gasses vent directly away from the shooter, and they push the rifle back onto you like a rocket. Even if gases are vented out sideways, not backwards, its still more towards the shooter than un-braked.

A brake is a simple thing. There are many angles you could tweak to improve the way it handles the recoil, and to improve how nice the rifle is to shoot, but all of them involve venting gasses back towards the shooter.

There is no way you can spin it where a brake will be nicer, in terms of noise and percussion than a suppressor.

Its a matter of personal preference. A whack in the shoulder, or better yet, a shove, has never been an issue for me as far a shooting goes. It does not cause me to flinch. Noise/percussion on the other hand is a major issue. I have caught myself flinching with a 17HMR when shooting it beside a wall, where I was copping a bit of a racket.
    I wasn't trying to say that a brake will be nicer, in terms of noise and percussion than a suppressor, they never will be...

What I was trying to say is that some brake designs are "kinder" to the shooter than others.

Zigliani suppressor on t3 308. Yay or nay? Want the quietest money can buy in nz

Caretaker
    Gabe zigliani at highcountrysport.co.nz and Gary Mcoll at MAE both make world class suppressors.

Gabes are a smidgen (imperial measurement ) quieter but have the largest diameter and are the most expensive of the two.

The MAE is a smaller diameter and cheaper, less wait time after ordering, and cools down faster.

No other suppressor comes close to them for noise suppression at this stage.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

No disrespect tussoock but the if you had any idea how many cans come out of that shop you would realise that the failure rate would be minute.
    As i have said his new magnum can has had a huge bashing with the trg and also had it on my 7 rem mag and handling it well.
    It seems nice and solid and a bit larger diameter than the one i got four years ago.
    I dont need hearing protection and turns the trg with 300 grainers into a pussy gun my ten year old shoots and the 7 mag into the recoil of my 6.5x55
    At the end of the day i would be very surprised if you bought one that you were not stoked with it.
    Arguably there is so much percussion with a brake on a big gun your doing damage even with hearing protection. I got an instant splitting headache from a RUM years ago from wearing a full percussion blast while wearing hearing protection.

There is a lot to be said for a suppressor on any gun.

Too many busted up Dan cans out there for me to consider one. The ones that survive are some what irrelevant. If they were really strong enough and designed properly we would not hear so many reports of failure.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I've got a Dan on my 300mag. I wouldn't go anywhere without it. I don't understand why anyone would want to increase the noise of a rifle? Seems counter intuitive to me.

Brakes = hearing damage even with Earpro. No thanks!!

I agree. I havnt shot a braked gun except for an ar15 and that wasnt that pleasant either. I had a terrible flinch and after alot of pain and training and practise ive come to the conclusion that noise is my archiles heel. I will not own or fire an unsurpressed rifle anymore . I just suck at it. Couldnt overcome it

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Why can a 338? By their nature these big guns are a heavy unit. It not like your going to have a deer jump up in front of you that you will be able to shoot anyway, will it? (you have to get off the quad first and unhitch the trailer) and unless you have a March even if you do get rifle to shoulder fast enough you wont see it with your 6X bottom end scope. My 33dB ear plugs will always be lighter than your anybrand can. Judging by the look of it, KiwiGregs brakes will out perform any can too. So, as I guess you will have minutes, not second to pull that trigger the brake appears a no brainer to me (with big guns).
    I don't have a 338 (or anything real big) so please tell me if I'm wrong. Just logically, from this side of the fence, a can sounds like a waste of time to me.

my 8lb edge is 1/2 pound heavier than my everyday hunter, it also mag feeds a round, the scopes lowest end is 4x, so pritty much spook n shoot if i really wanted to - but its braked so no thanks
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

+1 to noise, not recoil, being the flinch cause. I just got my 25-06 suppressed (sick of ringing ears even with earplugs), and first shot with the can on I realised I had a mean "close my eyes and pull away" flinch going on. Never noticed it until the can took the noise down to a non-concussive level.

This may sound rediculous, i dont know much about the 2......but why dont someone make a suppressor with a brake on the end of it?? lol.
    best of both worlds? or just stupid? been tried & failed?

Does MAE make a can for 338LM , the reason , I ask is I have only seen the 308 can advertised for the AI Tac muzzle break , and not the 338LM Tac brake /

Later Chris