Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 3D printers, some thoughts...

ebf
    But gimp, failures during "testing" should improve the human gene pool by several percentage points
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

the day they learn to squirt molten alunminum rather than pvc ink would be a great step forward

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    the day they learn to squirt molten alunminum rather than pvc ink would be a great step forward

There are printers that can do this already I believe they're just mad expensive.

You could use the printers to make moulds to cast aluminium parts. Same as you could use other shit we've had forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but I thought decent CNC lathes could produce bits, metal bits, from cad files.
    Cnc mill

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
    Wirehunt and steven like this.

basically yup they can.
    been talking to my GF who is a designer in this area and she asked why i would want a 3d printed lower when they have a mill and nickel titanium
    I just about wet myself.
    Eion and steven like this.

They can. Then there is lazer/water cutters too that can do a similar job. Here is a video of making a lower with a CNC

Here is a Mill on trademe just the first one I found

For a go and throw try this $7 12-Gauge Zip Gun Homemade Shotgun - YouTube

People are just freaking out over nothing really I think. The 3d printer had mad resolution but that about all it has going for it over other methods.
    Last edited by Eion; 04-04-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    steven likes this.

Ejected
    **At this point in time.

Do you lot not remember what your mobiles looked like, what the could do 20 year ago?.....
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'm not because anything they can make at the moment is shit
    I'd be happy with home made P mags and lowers if they worked and didn't break

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    **At this point in time.

Do you lot not remember what your mobiles looked like, what the could do 20 year ago?.....
    Nah, I don't, I turned 20 in Feb but I fully understand your point, it's where it could go. Do we have laws in NZ about the manufacture of firearms?

has anyone tryed just cutting a pmag in half, making a mould then injection moulding theyr own with plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    they need some other kind of polymer that lasts longer than 400 shots. then we are away laughing
    That 400 shots is the low stressed stuff as well. Until we see a bolt head and barrel (chamber) capable of surviving even a handfull of rounds its more of a danger to the firer than any target. Given engineering/metal limits personally I cant see it ever being a goer. I mean the barrel is a forged piece of high quality steel capable of holding 40,000~60,000 PSI for 10,000+ rounds I can so see that being printed....not.

Lets look at the practicality of alternatives, how hard and expensive is it to get drawings for a sten gun and by a second hand lathe on trademe? dead easy and about $1k....any decent tradesman like a car mechanic or better should be capable of making stens.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by Eion View Post
    They can. Then there is lazer/water cutters too that can do a similar job. Here is a video of making a lower with a CNC

Here is a Mill on trademe just the first one I found

For a go and throw try this $7 12-Gauge Zip Gun Homemade Shotgun - YouTube

People are just freaking out over nothing really I think. The 3d printer had mad resolution but that about all it has going for it over other methods.

Thats a wood detailing mill not rigid enough for steel, might do ali, but anyway no 3d printer required,

Homemade AR-15 Without a 3D Printer- DangerInfo - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    There are printers that can do this already I believe they're just mad expensive.

You could use the printers to make moulds to cast aluminium parts. Same as you could use other shit we've had forever.
    Or cut out a stage with metal sintering. A fascinating idea, and pretty versatile too if this is an example of what it can produce Direct Metal Laser Sintering (DMLS) | Services As it gets cheaper imagine the potential uses. Car parts, House fittings, replacement machine parts.... you'd never need to go to a parts shop again.

WH, I think you're right 20 years from now, these will probably be indispensible in every household, or home workshop, and they'll be far more advanced than they are today.

Oceania Defense make their Titanium suppressors out of sintered material on a 3D printer

I think the idea is cool but I'd do it a little different. Instead of an .223 try something more forgiving like a .22lr
    VIVA LA HOWA