Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I was thinking somthing like the 4-12 bushnell elite.It would fit your budget.I used one for a while and am using a 4200 4-16 now.Pretty happy with both.If 400yds is max you can use a good balistic reticle ,I know Dialing is better but they take dialing reliability out of the equation with cheaper scopes and with some practice can work very well.Theres plenty of scopes that will do the job with out spending heaps,better is good but its want not need.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

The day Gavin said "Fucken Cock Smokers"
    I remember it well, he had told me that he had brought in a 4x14x40 VX3 CDS for a mate and that it would accompany my 22.243 that i had just purchased of him well and it was only $800+ delivered.
    So i have a look at Optic zone and after a cock up with another scope i bite the bullet and order one, i wait for a week and it arrives, nice, sleek, crisp and a good price!
    After another week i check the credit card for a final total for the scope, yippy $530.00 delivered all up!!.
    And that was the day that Gavin said "Fucken Cock Smokers"

If you get lucky like me it is well worth the money for a VX3 CDS but you have to get Lucky. "Do you feel lucky punk, well do ya"

Good luck with what ever ya get mate.

Gday Gav

Squashed like a Flea
    G'Day Fella's,

This has already been mentioned and I also reckon you need At Least 20x if not 25x or more, for longer range (400+meters) sniping of bunnies.
    My current long ranger has an older 6.5-20 Leupold BR on it and once you get out past 500m, even the 1/8" dot reticule covers up a lot of the target!
    Keep an eye out for a fixed 24x scope, but you may have problems with the fixed power and mirage in the hot weather.

Hope that helps

Doh!
    Homer

Ejected
    Fixed power Euro. Quality equals much less power needed. I've got the 4X Kahles on a .22 and have no problem. On the other .22 there is a Bushnell or something, to do the same job it's got to be up to at least 6X and preferably more. Go quality and less is best, cheap and start winding that power ring right up to make up for the crap glass. And remember, yanks ain't known for glass.....

I use 12x and it's more than enough for well past 400-500 meters.

On my previous varmint rig I had a 6.5-20x magnification. Personally mirage and movement effect was more noticeable on 20x and so whether I was shooting bunnies or F-Class I normally only used it on around 14x.

Now I've got a 4.5-14x Mark 4 and it does most things I need.

Ihave a 4-16 V16 ballistic X reticle (only fine weaver ballistic X) A nice fine wire is far far more important than 20x mag, 400 yards 16 is more than enough, to much more and on hot days heat shimmer etc is magnified as well with the high mag power. The V16 seams to dial OK but I wouldn't think it’s as good as the later scopes (been around for years)

I also had a 6-20 grand slam previously on that rifle but it lacked the moa to dial the longer shots.... Good scope clear and I had the fine duplex version and it dialed well but 1/8 clicks had you dialing more than 1 turn regularly and being so fine it was hard to see what turn you were on.. I don't miss the 20 power though, a good clear 16 is fine

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    Some very interesting views on what make a good varmint scope and in different shooting situations everyone has a valid point.
    When shooting bunnies alot of the time mirage and hot days can mean about 14-15 power is all you can use as well as giving you a better field of view for finding moving targets.
    But Greg point is also true about More mag not making it harder to hold still, more mag makes it much more obvious how much you are moving relative to the target
    Homers point about shooting 400 + yards and using 20-25 power as bunnies aren't a big target and in summer alot of young bunnies are about making it very hard to see the target behind the cross hairs at 14 power also can be very true at the longer ranges.
    My view is to have a good quality very power scope say 8-25x50 that you can use at different power settings depending on the weather and distance you are shooting, a good ballistic retical for fast shooting on moving targets as well as reliable scope click for more precise holds on long range targets.
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

I caught my smelly armpits from Cowboy Tone's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Some very interesting views on what make a good varmint scope and in different shooting situations everyone has a valid point.
    When shooting bunnies alot of the time mirage and hot days can mean about 14-15 power is all you can use as well as giving you a better field of view for finding moving targets.
    But Greg point is also true about More mag not making it harder to hold still, more mag makes it much more obvious how much you are moving relative to the target
    Homers point about shooting 400 + yards and using 20-25 power as bunnies aren't a big target and in summer alot of young bunnies are about making it very hard to see the target behind the cross hairs at 14 power also can be very true at the longer ranges.
    My view is to have a good quality very power scope say 8-25x50 that you can use at different power settings depending on the weather and distance you are shooting, a good ballistic retical for fast shooting on moving targets as well as reliable scope click for more precise holds on long range targets.
    Thanks for the summary
    was looking at a VORTEX Viper 6.5-20x50 PA Rifle Scope, V-Plex Wide Reticle but the turret covers have to be removed for dialing up. The PST range has tactical style turrets but the $$$$ extra are a deal breaker.

You are both correct (Kiwi Greg and Crzyman) the higher mag emphasises the unsteadiness; using a lower mag is useful for a person who may be put off when observing the degree of unsteadiness - both have their place. If you can hold steady aka bench-rest, then in mirage-free conditions, the higher mag certainly produces an enhanced sight picture.
    A relatively cheap scope - but one that I've had a few years of good use from (dialling I might add) is a 4.5-14x40 Swift Premier with mil dot. It's brighter in dim conditions than my Loopy VXIII of same power. The Swift might fold up in time to come but it's never given me a problem to date and has seen quite a bit of use. It sits on and suits my 222. Only drawback is that its AO adjustment is at the front obj bell instead of at the turret housing.
    If you can afford it though - buy once cry once.
    I would endorse the comment above that around 14 is optimum as you will find that above that you will very often pick up way too much mirage for confident shooting (much like emphasised unsteadiness at the higher magnifications).
    My 2c worth.

OK so after doing a bit of Maths. I reckon I can shell out $1000 (Buy once cry once?) Been seriously looking at vortex bushnell and Weavers. I want a 6ish to 20ish x 50, Tactical turrets. I have absolutley done my head in looking at all the various options! Any particular one you favour? FFP? SFP? I know FFP will be dearer however is it worth it knowing its a hunting set up and follow up shots my not always allow for dialing up
    Also which reticle is a good choice?

OK I have decided on weaver tactical 4-20x50. If some of you could do me a favour. I know there are many online shops and I dont know half of them, and usually one has a deal on that is 45 pages back in google search. Can you please check your favourite 'buy optics online' shop and check for best price?

Weaver Tactical 4-20x50, Mil Dot, Matte Riflescopes, Binoculars, Rangefinders and Spotting Scopes at The Optic Zone
    cheapest of the ones I have ATM, None of the others match the price as none have specials on the tatical.

A cheaper option that gets good reveiws from those that own them (I have not seen one in person)

Clearidge Ultra XP5 4.5-22.5x50, Mil Dot, Matte Riflescopes, Binoculars, Rangefinders and Spotting Scopes at The Optic Zone

another option if size is not an issue
    Sightron SIII 6-24 X 50 Black Matte, Mil Dot, SIII624x50MD/CM, Rifle Scope: Arcadian Sales
    But 6 on the low end is to much if useing for real close stuff. Not sure on reticle thickness and I think both of the others are 2FP not FFP like the weaver.

That clearidge looks the ticket! Just cant find many reviews. I would rather rely on first hand experiences. It is a toss up between the weaver Tactical and Bushnell Tactical
    Last edited by Tone; 22-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Hos does the tactical vary from this?
    Weaver 4-20X50 Super Slam Euro Style Riflescope SF Dual-X Reticle Matte - Natchez Shooters Supplies 4-20X50 Super Slam Euro Style Riflescope SF Dual-X Reticle Matte

Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!