Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 45/70 Marlin 1895SBL

Quote Originally Posted by dvk-kp View Post
    Nice looking setup there. I have heard about stuff like rails not being on point on the Marlins, can be fixed tho. Was it the screw holes misaligned that caused the problem you had?
    Yeah pretty badly. 1.5m off at 50m out. Nothing a windage screw base can’t fix. Not sure on the vintage of the rifle, I’d have to look up the serial #, but with the parkerising and lam stock it can’t be that old.
    "That is ever the way of the Highlander. He alters like a clear pool to every mood of the sky, so that the shallow observer knows not how deep the waters are."

I have the 1895 SBL , the 1895 Dark , and the 1894 CST.

Where to start.

The 325gr leverevolution Flextips I have used in them go well on deer, I shot three at 25m, 85m, and 100m respectively last Sunday and they all dropped like like a tonne of bricks. (One was a very messy headshot)

The boot honestly isn't that bad when shooting at animals - from a bench it's a punisher.

I threw a DPT can on the Dark , and honestly I can say it has almost no effect on perceived noise the only difference being reduction of felt recoil and muzzle rise.

Haven't tried Subsonics yet, but that is on the cards eventually.

Build quality is excellent , and I have to say the stainless is extremely weather resistant , whereas the Dark is not so much and requires more oiling.

The 1894 is fun little plinker, too.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    Sasquatch and ebee like this.

Very nice. I like.

Cole
    Nice collection Masperjay! Very envious.

Definatly on the cards now, rung the local shop to get a price for one, just waiting to hear back.

Actually looking forward to some stout recoil, should surprise other people when they have a shot with it!

Quote Originally Posted by Masperjay View Post
    I have the 1895 SBL , the 1895 Dark , and the 1894 CST.

Where to start.

The 325gr leverevolution Flextips I have used in them go well on deer, I shot three at 25m, 85m, and 100m respectively last Sunday and they all dropped like like a tonne of bricks. (One was a very messy headshot)

The boot honestly isn't that bad when shooting at animals - from a bench it's a punisher.

I threw a DPT can on the Dark , and honestly I can say it has almost no effect on perceived noise the only difference being reduction of felt recoil and muzzle rise.

Haven't tried Subsonics yet, but that is on the cards eventually.

Build quality is excellent , and I have to say the stainless is extremely weather resistant , whereas the Dark is not so much and requires more oiling.

The 1894 is fun little plinker, too.

Have you tried PPU/Highland ammo in the 3030 Dark? It wont eject properly in mine and someone else's I know. It's a shame as it is good brass.

I got my brother in law to compare a bunch of PPU/Highland cases to other brands and their rim is slightly different.

Hey mate, the dark is a 45/70

Quote Originally Posted by Masperjay View Post
    Hey mate, the dark is a 45/70

Oh right so you have two 45-70 and a 357/38?

Those laminate stocks are beautiful. The only problem I find with the Dark is with a 1-6 vx6 Leupy it is quite hefty. Looking at replacing the handguard with one of those lightweight mlok ones 556 is bringing in.