Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By akaroa1
  • 3 Post By akaroa1
  • 2 Post By southernman
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 1 Post By southernman

Thread: 5.6x50R, Any ammo/brass about.

5.6x50R, Any ammo/brass about.

The twist and turns of life, have left me with a rather nice used K95 Blaser in 7x65, I like to order a lighter caliber, and the choices are .22 hornet, 5.6x50R, in a rimmed case. My preference is rimmed, otherwise it either .222 or .243, 6XC, the .243 being the logical choice of these three.
    The .223 would be perfect but its not an option. basically something for small game and goats/Fallow, the 5.6x50R is about right, up to 70gr weight.
    But hardly any ammo brass, here in Canada, and we are selling up, and moving back to NZ late 2024, so a couple interchange barrel rifles, make more sense than a dozen bolt actions.

So has anyone seen any brass or ammo, for a 5.6x50R in there travels.

Yes

I sourced 100 cases for a bloke on here, he disappeared when it was time to pay me.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

I was looking at a barrel for my K95 in that caliber or the other similar caliber ( can’t remember the exact name). I could find brass for one and projectiles for the other. In the end I figured 223 was easier to go with if I got another barrel.
    Congrats on the K95 in 7x65R, that’s what I have. I’m using 162 gr projectiles in mine. Shoots and hits well.

@southernman 5.6x50R Dies, brass and ammunition are available in Australia and you have 2 years before you move back to NZ to gather up what you can in Canada

I expect delivery time on a K95 barrel will be long
    So if it's what you want it will come together in time
    Micky Duck likes this.

Greetings All,
    5.6x52R aka .22 Savage might be an option. Oddball projectile dia though.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    5.6x52R aka .22 Savage might be an option. Oddball projectile dia though.
    GPM.
    @grandpamac Blaser only does the 5.6x52R in the octagonal barrel
    So you would need a different fore end which is Blaser expensive

Nice oddball caliber but even more of a challenge than 5.6x50R

For what it's intended for the small game caliber could be rimless and the 222 would be ideal

Although I'm a fan of rimmed single shot rifles
    I'm sure Blaser have the rimless extractor well sorted

re 5.6x50R: the NZ agent for S&B brass, S. R. Marston & Co, advertises 5.6x50R brass in NZ. I have never seen it on the shop shelves. I emailed the company a couple of times. Also, I emailed S&B a couple of times. But neither company replied. You may have better luck if you can get past the electronic wall of indifference. I ended up buying once fired cases via a German hunting website. But I did need the help of a German language speaker to navigate the website and the purchase.

Well I will update, I have ordered 3 boxed of 5.6x50R S&B ammo from a hunting store in Canada, they just had 60 boxes show up, and RWS has a few packets for twice as much, Still waiting on a K95 Blaser barrel 5.6x50R price and I have also asked for the price on a special order barrel in .223, the dealer is not hopeful, that the price will be reasonable, due to his last attempt at a special order, being 2.5 times the normal price.
    I have ordered a 22 Hornet barrel for this rifle,
    Micky Duck and techno retard like this.

im sure it wouldnt be hard to ream what ever barrel you get as long as the case was smaller and the bore was correct
    Micky Duck likes this.

Australian Sporting Shooters magazine had an article last century about reaming the 5.6x50R chamber (for a Martini Cadet) using a 223Rem reamer. That approach may save you a few hundred in bespoke reamer costs.

I will update this, just received a 5.6x50R barrel, for the K95 today, looking forward to get it up and running, have a couple hundred S&B 55gr ammo and a couple packets of RWS,
    I am bumping this, so if any brass or ammo about NZ, let me know.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I'm in Victoria, if I can be of help yell out.