Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 6.5 B's and C's

And a set of near new parker hail rings which are hard to find this days.

6.5 Swedish, M96, full wood, make sure it has a bayonet for those difficult door to door salesmen moments.

Apart from that a mate got a T3 lite and out of the box with some std Fed ammo he picked up off the shelf while walking out, got <3/4MOA first time out.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Get the barreled action from Gunworks an get a Stug stock put on it. I sometimes wish I left mine as a swede but AI is just cool I love looking at the shells so it worth it. And I love shooting so fire forming is quite fun.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Ammo is super expensive for the 260. 6.5x55 would be the only choice if you depend on factory.
    I kind of consider both a reloading cartidge, as the majority of the factory 6.5x55 loads are down loaded and pretty pedestrian, with the decent stuff (norma@2800) being 50-60 bucks a box which is same same with the 260.
    Kind of appeals to me as I have wanted to get into reloading, but there really wasnt any point with my old 7.62x39 bushpig.

I have a buddy with a decent reloading setup, but have my eye on a second hand setup for a steal at the moment anyway.

Got a few days off next week so will go shoulder a few and see what tickles my fancy
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby View Post
    Get the barreled action from Gunworks an get a Stug stock put on it. I sometimes wish I left mine as a swede but AI is just cool I love looking at the shells so it worth it. And I love shooting so fire forming is quite fun.
    Wanting to keep cost reasonably low at this point, as im wanting to upgrade glass as well. Was thinking about the barreled action and a boyds. Whats a stug stock worth. high hundies right? The pics I have seen of them look damn good.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    +1 for the mod 7 260 rem (l like mine) or a kimber Montana in same cal, lighter again

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk
    Yeah cool guns, dont see many of em around though. Theres one up on tard me in .308 at the mo.
    Be to much gun for the missus though (shes 55kg at a push) I shot one a few years ago in .308, and it felt like a 30-06. Definatley had some sting

Banned
    I think you will find the tikka will take your fancy if you are going to chose between a howa and a tikka,ive had a decent play with both howa and tikka the howa was in 223 with a nice timber stock nice rifle but heavy.the tikka was a 7mm08 suppressed and I really like the action and weight.I look forward to seeing what you decide and what cal. In all honesty you cant go to wrong with either in either calliber both can shoot accurately with the right nut behind the butt.

The reality is if you want your slight wife to enjoy shooting I would be using lighter projectiles and definitly suppressed as the noise aswell as the recoil are alot for smaller people with out the above
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Ive owned a 6.5x55 tikka for years. It's by far the most boring gun I have ever owned BUT I have owned it for the longest out of all my firearms... The reason is all the deer I've shot just fall over on the spot.

I reload for her which makes it cheap to feed and allows a 140gn amax and corelokt load @2750fps with almost identical poi at 100m.

Unless you are shooting 700m+ or want to sink battleship's then its the last gun you will need to hunt deer when paired with a top quality scope.

It really is a fantastic cartridge.
    Just to add the 6.5x55 is very mild to shoot also. I would rate around .243win level

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Yeah cool guns, dont see many of em around though. Theres one up on tard me in .308 at the mo.
    Be to much gun for the missus though (shes 55kg at a push) I shot one a few years ago in .308, and it felt like a 30-06. Definatley had some sting
    Stick a suppressor on a .308 and you've got stuff all recoil and a deer slayer par excellence. Some of the guys around my neck of the woods think that a 7mm/08 is a little light. Then, the deer tend to be on the large size.

Last night at the D.A. measure up night. Gamehunter and JP doing a great job with the tape.

This one had a Douglas score of 294
    Name:  measure-up.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  495.4 KB

This was one of the smaller entries at 247
    Name:  measure-up1.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  370.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    The reality is if you want your slight wife to enjoy shooting I would be using lighter projectiles and definitly suppressed as the noise aswell as the recoil are alot for smaller people with out the above
    Yeah, She is a national champion Jiu Jitsu fighter, so she is pretty tough. She has shot a .308 T3 without any complaints. It would be a bit hard to shoot a target session though.
    The idea being that if she gets involved (she loves target shooting) it will keep me out of the dogbox the next time I bring home a new rifle unannounced
    veitnamcam likes this.

ebf
    Nick, put a limbsaver on the 308 and she'll be happy shooting it all day. If still a problem after that, get suppressor.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Theres nothing wrong with the Savage either! I like mine (in .270) they have an amazing trigger!
    The newer Savage 16FCSS has an aluminium bedding block which is supposed to help with the accuracy.. Another thing to consider may be the magazine type - As far as I know the Tikka and Savage will have detachable box mags whereas the Howa will have an internal mag

Quote Originally Posted by logesearle View Post
    Theres nothing wrong with the Savage either! I like mine (in .270) they have an amazing trigger!
    The newer Savage 16FCSS has an aluminium bedding block which is supposed to help with the accuracy.. Another thing to consider may be the magazine type - As far as I know the Tikka and Savage will have detachable box mags whereas the Howa will have an internal mag
    Yeah I quite like the savage and they come in a good variety of calibres, I've not got much on monday tuesday so am going to go out and shoulder a couple of different rifles and see what tickles my fancy.

I dont have a dog in the hinged floorplate vs detachable box mag fight, either is fine for me. I would baulk at a full blind mag though, something unsettling about cycling a firearm to empty it

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    ...am going to go out and shoulder a couple of different rifles and see what tickles my fancy.
    Good call, not much wrong with any of the options in that price range so its more about what fits you and what you prefer the feel of.

PS the Savages win for me as well.