Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 6.5 B's and C's

As @ebf says put a limbsaver on the gun. I recommend them over the rubbish stock job in any cal T3

Pop Shot likes this.

@Nick-D you need to pick each of them up and see how they feel.

As for Cal, how often will you actually shoot it and how often will you hunt with it? Does the wife want to shoot it too?

Deer aren't going to know the difference between a 6.5x55 or 260. If you are just starting out with deer, just get the 260 and if you later feel you "need" that little bit more, ream to 260AI.

Personnaly, I have a Rem700 in 270WSM that shoots well at 1000m and any before that. They animals all end up just as dead. Also, have another 700 in 223Max. Reason for the 700's are; they feel good to hang on to for me, part are common if you want to modify them a little or alot. any gunsmith shouldn't have a problem working on them. I would suggest a B&C stock or even a Boyd to replace plastic rubbish they come with

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    This is a good deal too.
    @Matt2308

Any other 6.5 cal, other than 6.5x55, is a pointless waste of money unless he reloads, or has access to reloading...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Any other 6.5 cal, other than 6.5x55, is a pointless waste of money unless he reloads, or has access to reloading...
    I agree with that.

bloody shit phone

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Good spot man, that would be right up my alley, straight on to the watch list it goes! They look good in the laminate too. Cheers

@Uplandstalker
    I plan to get out quite a bit. Have a 7 day planned for later in the year, and as I grew up in taupo, have a few contacst I can reconnect with there and get out and about.
    Also have family in Napier that gives me a great excuse to get down there for a few days. I do like a good range session and am pretty close to the DS range here.

I expect to do quite alot of walking and not much shooting to be honest at first, I've spent plenty of time in the bush, mostly after stinkies and pigs though, never really had a good crack at stalking deer.

Either calibre appeals to me really just because they are a little bit different. I have easy access to a reloading setup, so will just need to get the suitable dies.
    I like to tinker so if I cant find anything that tickles my fancy I will just pick up a howa barreled action and go from there

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman View Post
    Yep, you can get fed fusion in 260 for $50 odd a box but its pretty hard to find. Belmont do a 129 hornady for 60 a box. Not much in the way of options.
    That being said most of the 6.5x55 on offer is so downloaded its rediculous. like 2300 fps rediculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Yep, you can get fed fusion in 260 for $50 odd a box but its pretty hard to find. Belmont do a 129 hornady for 60 a box. Not much in the way of options.
    That being said most of the 6.5x55 on offer is so downloaded its rediculous. like 2300 fps rediculous.
    What is the greatest distance you have ever shot a game animal at? I doubt you will notice the perceived lack of velocity inside 2-300 meters.

Probably 350ish. Yeah for most the hunting I do/will be doing it would be fine, which is an advantage having the ammo available (and reasonably priced) That being said, it would grate me to have what is a pretty capable calibre being underutilised. No real ryhme or reason, it just would. Its all circumpect anyway as I have access to reloading gear and have wanted an excuse to get into it anyway. S&B and norma have a couple of options with a bit more poke for the swede, and belmont has some offerings, which while they dont post any indication of speeds, should be higher pressure than the yankee loads

Just picked up a howa barrelled action in 6.5x55. Appeals to me as Im a keen tinkerer and can put my own touches on the rifle. Will just slap a boyds( had a play with one and liked the way it shouldered) with a skim bed on it for now while I talk my mate who is a carbon fiber fitter(builds carbon racing boats and bike fairings) into having a go at shaping me a stock. Will be a bit heavy but since I just starved myself silly for 3 months to drop a weight class, It all evens out

Cheers for all the advice. Much appreciated.
    Ill be pestering you for loads before to long
    Wildman and Neckshot like this.

There's only one load for your 6.5x55. 140 grn bullet and start working up from 46 grns of N560.
    Norma or Lapua cases.
    No more discussion required.
    K95 and HUNTY like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    There's only one load for your 6.5x55. 140 grn bullet and start working up from 46 grns of N560.
    Norma or Lapua cases.
    No more discussion required.
    AR2209 is better in mine and cheaper and easier to find. 140gr all the way though...