Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 6.5 CM build suggestions for bits ans Smith

They definitely have a good reputation for their cerakoting

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    They definitely have a good reputation for their cerakoting
    I had an expensive rifle in at Gunworks getting some work done, it came back with more problems than it went in with.
    Took it to Greystone Guns after someone on here suggested it, Stu fixed everything in no time.
    He even talked me out of some further mods (that he would have made money on), gave sound reasoning against it.

After trying out every other smith in the South Island, I will only go to Greystone from now on.

Hi have just gone through the process looking for a couple of 6mm Creedmoor barrels for a mate on their Tikka's as donor actions- In the end they went Vulcan Engineering as had the best ability to get exactly what they were after. The other one that was well worth a look was Cam - But he didn't have the cal and twist they were looking for (but If he has a 6.5 good to go would be my top choice).

Trueflight with the barrel plus fitting fees plus 15% of the site costs got a little too pricey. Hardy carbon barrels were 1650 ish plus fit.similar..

The others that were well worth a call were NZ repeating arms as they had the prefit ones which had the savage AR style nut to fit into chassis rifles..

This was my search results hope it helps!
    lee308 likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Banned
    Are vulcan barrels back in action?

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    Are vulcan barrels back in action?
    As far as I know - my mate i put onto them just sent me a text that he has 2 on them on his desk at work tonight still wrapped for his builds.
    lee308 likes this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

Banned
    Good to hear

Sorry to disappoint you guys but i have decided to get a Criterion 6.5CM prefit barrel for my Remington 700 which is already in a HS3 chassis with scope and trigger all set up. John Herbert who is a knowledgeable man and an always helpful fellow WSRA member had these premium barrels imported at unbeatable prices.
    I've got the basic barrel changing gear all set up and the headspace gauges coming. Should be fun.
    Will post some photos of bits and installation, and maybe some load development and results in the new year if you guys would be interested.
    tikka and Carpe Diem like this.

I know I'd like to see that

Quote Originally Posted by lee308 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint you guys but i have decided to get a Criterion 6.5CM prefit barrel for my Remington 700 which is already in a HS3 chassis with scope and trigger all set up. John Herbert who is a knowledgeable man and an always helpful fellow WSRA member had these premium barrels imported at unbeatable prices.
    I've got the basic barrel changing gear all set up and the headspace gauges coming. Should be fun.
    Will post some photos of bits and installation, and maybe some load development and results in the new year if you guys would be interested.
    What did this cost you all up?

I'm after a 6.5 rig too but on a limited budget.

Just round figures I forgot exactly what I paid for them. Action $700 with Tac 308 barrel, new 6.5 Barrel $650 chassis $700 trigger $400.
    308mate likes this.