Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree120Likes

Thread: 6.5 Creed V 7-08

bugger you didnt find comparison with a big fat round nose 180grnut of the .308 or a 170grn out of .270 rainbow like trajectory (interestingly the .270 not so much) but hit like hammer of thor.

but what do I know...the last animal I shot was a boar of about 140lb at 150ish yards and I used a 50 grn barnes ttsx out of the humble .223

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    bugger you didnt find comparison with a big fat round nose 180grnut of the .308 or a 170grn out of .270 rainbow like trajectory (interestingly the .270 not so much) but hit like hammer of thor.

but what do I know...the last animal I shot was a boar of about 140lb at 150ish yards and I used a 50 grn barnes ttsx out of the humble .223
    Maybe you'd be let into the 6.5 club if you wear a Hanzel and Grendel hat?
    Micky Duck, Flyblown and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Maybe you'd be let into the 6.5 club if you wear a Hanzel and Grendel hat?
    Oh gawd, some posts just made me laugh so hard I need to take a wee. Appealed to my sense of humour, that, @Cordite.
    WallyR and Cordite like this.

Apparently, the first name they picked was "Sweedmoor".....then they remembered reloading....But seriously, its been known for years how good 6.5 is as a medium-sh game cartridge (including 500 elephants)...(7468 moose)...and 2 confirmed guinea-pigs... But they really just wanted something New,in this caliber, (high BC's and SD's) that they could sell to the largest-market (USA), in a short-action configuration...that didnt have the issues and bad-Press associated with old military actions. Most of us (guys) love a good comparison-argument..until we meet Jack Napier, then its 'horses for courses'

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    This is going no where, again.

What we should do is have a real comparison, we should compare the 257 Roberts with the 25 06

I'm continually told the 25 06 is shit!
    This is told to me by friends, by people I know, by people I don't know but have a loose association with on the internet therefore bearable, and finally by people on the internet I don't know and therefore I don't give a fuck about what they say.

The 257 Roberts or, Bob, if you are the friendly but ever so mildly patronizing type of guy every social set has who wishes all others to think he is au fait , indeed intimate with the whys and wherefores of caliber differentials within the same group.
    Is slower, even more obsolete and harder to find in factory form that the 25 06, actually the last one I heard of was a Ruger Hawkeye.

So therefore I would expect it shouldn't even be heard of unless in history books and old men forums, except, it still persists in surprisingly younger folk when the 25 06 is so obviously superior.

The Charts @Flyblown have put up are terrific, perhaps you could do another set for these two.

That should do it.

Tahr, You may now say something , if you wish.
    gadgetman likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post

What we should do is have a real comparison, we should compare the 257 Roberts with the 25 06

This is told to me by friends, by people I know, by people I don't know but have a loose association with on the internet therefore bearable, and finally by people on the internet I don't know and therefore I don't give a fuck about what they say.

The 257 Roberts or, Bob, if you are the friendly but ever so mildly patronizing type of guy every social set has who wishes all others to think he is au fait , indeed intimate with the whys and wherefores of caliber differentials within the same group.
    Is slower, even more obsolete and harder to find in factory form that the 25 06, actually the last one I heard of was a Ruger Hawkeye.

So therefore I would expect it shouldn't even be heard of unless in history books and old men forums, except, it still persists in surprisingly younger folk when the 25 06 is so obviously superior.

The Charts @Flyblown have put up are terrific, perhaps you could do another set for these two.

That should do it.

Sounds like the new 25 creedmoor would be right up your alley....

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    25/08IMP likes this.

Me ?
    I have no use for a .25 caliber.
    7mmsaum likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Sounds like the new 25 creedmoor would be right up your alley....

Why would you say that @Nick-D, did you actually read my post .

Why would you say that @Nick-D, did you actually read my post .
    Little of column a little of column b. I both read your post and said something stupid.

Pretty sure 25 creedmoor isn't a thing. Yet

rewa likes this.

Pretty sure even if it does, it ain't got anything to do wit the 257Bob
    Nick-D likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Pretty sure 25 creedmoor isn't a thing. Yet

It is.
    Check this link out quite a good read, offers some great performance but relies on the specialty projectile, 131gr Match bullet with 0.330 G7 BC (140gr ELD has a 0.326 BC).

https://coldboremiracle.com/2018/10/...-25-creedmoor/
    25/08IMP and Nick-D like this.

Well he knew that,

Now this thread is fun.

Banned
    There is a nice rebarreled winny in 257roberts on TM. I decided it has the ballistics of the 260 with 100 to 120gr. If going for a light bullet chucker I would probably go for a fast twist 243ai or 6mm rem

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    There is a nice rebarreled winny in 257roberts on TM. I decided it has the ballistics of the 260 with 100 to 120gr. If going for a light bullet chucker I would probably go for a fast twist 243ai or 6mm rem
    I do just fine with 120s in 260 not need for 6mm or 257 😝😎

That should do it.

Now you have got me going......time to thread steal...

I hunted for many years taking many deer with a .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Now this rifle was eventually stolen. So when looking for a replacement I decided on a 25-06, as why not? All literature said the 257 AI was very close to the 25-06 in performance and I had had years of success with the 257 AI so the 25-06 was an obvious choice....... Nah!!! The 25-06 was just not as good! My shooting didn't change, I was using the same projectiles I had left over, but for some reason it just didn't have that "struck down like a bolt of lightning" like the Roberts did.

So I understand that sometimes, even though the books and other people say that 2 calibres are bloody close, that in the real world that its not always the case.

Now to keep looking for a 25-06 to re-chamber as I still have all the brass and the custom dies waiting patiently on the shelf...........................