Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: 6.5 grendel

Feeding is good mate
    I haven’t tried full mag length as the Sierra hp as quite a stubby nose and contacts the lans well before mag length
    I have some 100gn amax but haven’t tried them yet

The trigger is crisp and nice out of the box at arround 3lb lightest setting
    Just a little heavy for me I like 1.5-2lb

Me and @northdude done the trigger job I found on YouTube just cut the trigger waight spring down a little
    Doesn’t affect the crisp trigger just a bit lighter got it pulling between 1.5 and 2 lb like I like

I built a pair of 6.5 Grendel's in AR 15 chassis a good time back and discovered it didn't have the gas to do what I wanted. For long shots a 5.56 Wylde chamber was much more efficient and accurate and shorter ranges the 6.8 spc II hits like a freight train. Have two friends that have taken Rocky Mountain elk with 14.7" 6.8 carbines and both were one shot "Dead Right There" kills with massive wounds. I have a fleet of 7mm bolt rifles including 7mm-08. I would think if someone already owns a 7mm-08 were to build a 6.5 Grendel with objective to extend effective hunting range might be working backwards. If went with 6.5 Credmore then you would likely extend range but it's not going to fit in a compact action.

Reloading does open up options with 7mm-08 but if new to reloading there will be a good bit of equipment and learning curve to overcome. Here on my side of the planet we have some fine factory loaded 7mm-08 options. Currently there is a new 6.5 cartridge picking up a following in the U.S. for compact chassis bolt rifles and AR 15's. It's basically a 6.8 spc II case just necked down to 6.5 with neck trimmed to allow bullet to be seated out to full length in AR 15 magazines or short action bolt rifles. Also another cartridge based on the 6.8 requires some work and custom die set but necking the 6.8 down to 6mm and it has some reach with 100 to 115 grain bullets.

You mentioned putting your money into better glass for your 7mm-08, combine that with some trigger tuning along with having a smith make sure rifle is bedded properly a 7mm-08 should hold its on at 1,000 meters for paper punching and would be a relatively easy reach for deer out to 600 meters. Have quite a few custom turn bolts from 22 Hornet to 338 Lapua magnum but my 7mm's are most used due to versatility due to bullets with high ballistic coefficient and the mass to deliver significant tissue damage if properly chosen for velocity expected at a given range. Have 7mm-08, 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm RUM and 7mm Practical. Till broke my neck was a big fan of 7mm Practical, 300 Win Mag and 338 Lapua. Since broke the C2 and C3 vertebrae have had to adapt in order to sit at the bench all day testing loads and practicing my marksmanship. Cartridges like 6.8 spc II in short actions have 80% of the energy of a 308 out to 250 meters and very manageable recoil. Have become a huge fan of the 6XC for 1,000 meter paper punching as can send 115 grain 6mm bullets out to extreme distances with almost no recoil compared to most long range cartridges though would only use for smaller game in hunting situation.

The recommendation of many to work with your existing rifle is very sound. You mentioned a 2,500 budget and not sure how your currency stacks against U.S. dollar but recently set up a Tikka in 6.5 Creedmore with a Vortex 5-25x 50mm objective first focal plane scope (Viper PST) and a SIG suppressor for $2,500 U.S.D. and out of the box with only work was lapping the scope rings and adjusting trigger have been taking varmints to deer out to 600 meters with relative ease. Would not have attempted such shots with 6.5 Grendel on anything bigger than a coyote. The Creedmore's longer action allows higher B.C. bullets at higher velocities with less time in flight to target thus much less wind drift and drop. Both of my 6.5 Grendel builds pulled barrels and sold after shooting less than 100 rounds through each as didn't give me a real advantage over other short action cartridges already owned. Jury is still out on the new 6.5 based on the 6.8 called 6.5 SOCOM but seem to be shooting well out to 800 meters with 100 grain bullets. Not seen any animals so with it at extended ranges but varmint season is coming up fast in the southeastern U.S.
    keenbloke, viper, rossi.45 and 1 others like this.

Case dimensions:

Name:  grendel case dimensions.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  27.0 KB

We can see that the Grendel and 6PPC have less taper than the parent cartridge 7.62x39. They could be harder to feed, yet the Grendel works reliably in semiautos, apparently. The PPCs were designed for use in single shot bench rest rifles so feed wasn't required.

Due to differences in the case base diameters and the length to shoulder, the 7.62 won't fit into a 6.5 and the 6.5 won't fit into the 6mm. The bullet diameters will also help ! But it looks s if you could mistakenly load and fire a 6.5Grendel cartridge in a 7.62x39 rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Case dimensions:

Attachment 84882

We can see that the Grendel and 6PPC have less taper than the parent cartridge 7.62x39. They could be harder to feed, yet the Grendel works reliably in semiautos, apparently. The PPCs were designed for use in single shot bench rest rifles so feed wasn't required.

Due to differences in the case base diameters and the length to shoulder, the 7.62 won't fit into a 6.5 and the 6.5 won't fit into the 6mm. The bullet diameters will also help ! But it looks s if you could mistakenly load and fire a 6.5Grendel cartridge in a 7.62x39 rifle.
    Nah the 6.5G would not fit in a 7.62 rifle, it will jam without the tapper. Not a single jam so far in the 6.5G AR.
    Interesting what you were saying Hueyville, are you sure it wasn't the bullets? 6.8SPC projectiles have a lower BC and I have never managed to get much velocity out of heavy bullets in 5.56/223. We are somewhat limited in New Zealand by projectile and powder availability so 6.8SPC is not much of a go.

You re right 300 cal. The diameter at shoulder 27.3 mm is 0.74mm more in the Grendel than in the 7.62x
    Last edited by Bagheera; 27-03-2018 at 10:39 PM.

When you put the 2 side by side the grendel in now way the same it’s got far less taper and the shoulder is different
    The taper apparently on a 7.62x39 is to help function in dirty semi and full auto guns
    It has no real need in an ar15 as most keep there guns clean
    Which is why the grendel has got no taper or very little just what i was told

Name:  DD1ADC44-1CBA-4FE3-9077-06359CA712CC.jpeg
Views: 492
Size:  1.42 MB
    6.5G left 7.62x39 right

Here is the comparison of size of ammo between the 6.5 Grendel and the 7mm08 which the original poster asked about. The bolts are from a Sako 85 7mm08 and a Sako Vixen 6mmPPC. You can see the Grendel could go into a much more compact action. The 85 S action bolt is pretty small for a 308 sized case too.

Name:  Vix85bolts 800.jpeg
Views: 415
Size:  201.5 KB

Other 6.5 like the XC do have a ballistic edge over the Grendel but they use a 308 size action. If you step up, there why not use a 260REM or 6.5 Creed ?

Here are the weights. Interesting that the bolt of the old vixen isn't that much lighter. Presumably its got more metal and the long guide rail counts against the traditional mauser like design, whereas the sako 85 is designed to be lean and mean and cost be damned.S
    Name:  VxBltWt 640.jpeg
Views: 357
Size:  150.3 KB

Name:  85Bltwt 640.jpeg
Views: 349
Size:  137.8 KB

Vixen bolt 223g
    85 S bolt 279g

The ammo is surprisingly also not as much lighter as you'd expect either. Grendel ammo is a lot weightier than 6mmPPC. I expect it's due to the 123 gr bullet which is "heavy for case displacement".

Name:  GrndlAmmoWt 640.jpeg
Views: 383
Size:  167.8 KB

Name:  708ammowt640.jpeg
Views: 424
Size:  142.7 KB

5 x 6.5Grendel Rounds Hornady 123gr SST 89g
    5 x 7mm08 Rounds Norma/AR2208/140gr NBT 115g
    Mathias likes this.