Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: 6.5 Grendel Howa project

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Can you get cheap Grendel ammo or make it from used Russian brass?

It would be good for wallaby on a windy day but I hate having to pick up brass and it needs to be cheap.
    The old guy I purchased my Grendel from was handloading using 7.62x39 brass.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Can you get cheap Grendel ammo or make it from used Russian brass?

It would be good for wallaby on a windy day but I hate having to pick up brass and it needs to be cheap.
    Ive just run some windage numbers:

6.5 G with 123 eldm at 2550 fps at 300 yards in a 15 mph crosswind. 10.5 inches of wind drift.

6.5G with 90gr TNT at 2800 fps would be 18 inches wind drift

223 with 55gr SGK at 3190 fps same conditions would be 17 inches of wind.

So the same amount of powder in the grendel with the 123gr will def give you a windage advantage over the 55gr 223. But dropping to a 90gr in the Grendel will not.

A 75 gr eldm at just shy of 3k in the 223 would give you 10.3 Inches of drift, without buying a new gun. ;-)

Neck that Grendel down to 6mm (IE 6mm ARC - May come out in the Howa Mini next year) running a 108 eldm at 2850 fps would give you wind drift of 8.4 inches at 300 yards in a 15 mph crosswind. For same amount of powder as 223 roughly.

Just use your 77gr 223 load ;-)
    Tahr and Tentman like this.

Getting 3 k with a 77 gr 223 is making the thing work. You also get more foot pounds at the muzzle and nearly 50% more at 300 with the grendel than the 223. It's clearly quite an efficient cartridge .
    Tahr likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Getting 3 k with a 77 gr 223 is making the thing work. You also get more foot pounds at the muzzle and nearly 50% more at 300 with the grendel than the 223. It's clearly quite an efficient cartridge .
    Yep for sure. How much energy does one need to kill a wobbly at 300 yards thou? I've never even seen one let alone shot one.

I run 75 eldms at 2980 fps from a standard length T3 barrel, with a DPT can. I think Tahr is running 77's at a bit over 2900 from memory.
    Tahr likes this.