Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 options??

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
    Greg the new pink look is a different look for you???

The plain old 260 is a great work horse and fits the mag easily but the 6.5 284 gets my vote just need a long mag and some gunsmithing
    I'm the guinea pig apparently........they try this stuff on me because they know I can cope....

When they made me pink I couldn't even complain because I had no access to PMs & couldn't post....a ph call & its all sorted

Nothing wrong with Pink........

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    If your only getting those speeds I wouldn't bother. Better to stick with the 260 or 6.5X55, I've had both doing 120's at a very comfortable 3000. 80mm you would almost fit a 6.5/06 into that.
    6.5-06 baldbob has one so i cant/wont copy

what can you get the 140gr doing? i wouldnt mind running the 123gr a-max fast

Ejected
    Haven't tried the 140's get. Only got them for the /06 and still haven't got around to shooting that yet. All I ever run through the 260 is 120's, although there is a packet of 130's for stags sitting there that I might even get around to loading one year.

I doubt I'll ever get 3000 out of the Kimber again as she's went on a diet and lost some weight off the barrel....

Wirehunt is doing better than me with his .260 Rem. The only 120 grain projectiles I can get safely over 3000fps are Barnes TSX (very slippery!) and A-maxes. Others top out about 2950 (22" barrel)

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Tui-man2, a fella I know in NZ that is a hunting guide, uses a Rem Mod 7 in .260 with 125grn Nosler B-Tips, as his primary customer loan rifles.
    He reckons, that with well placed shots, most things go belly up!!!

Doh!
    Homer
    Homer, I had a few failures with 120 B-Tips and gave up on them. There is no 125 B-Tip (they come in 100 and 120 grains in 6.5mm). There is a 125 partition. Is that what your mate is using? I'm considering using the partition, so would be keen on an informed opinion.

Cutting Edge Bullets Terminator's Avatar
    I've used alot of 120 B-tips in a 6.5x55 at 2950fps with no problem I've shot everything from reds to goats, where you pushing them faster than 260 speed????
    1000yds is fun, 1500yds is getting interesting, 2000yds is exciting, 2500yds will blow your mind

Ejected
    Tis a damn fine bullet that 120BT. My mainstay for the 260 or any 6.5X55

260ai with accubonds.

Do it. Dont be a pussy

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by crnkin View Post
    260ai with accubonds.

Do it. Dont be a pussy
    well i have barnes an a-max ready for it 7mm took down 3 goats up at olds tonight 500m plus even the old boy got one with it so he was happy

AB Precision
    well barrel will be here this week maybe.

decided on the 260ai after tossing it all around was 260ai vs 6.5x47 but the 6.5x47 seams to be balls out to keep up with the standard 260

it will be 26" number 4 an 1:8 twist in aim to push the 140 to 3k

will be doing a few pictures of the building process etc an post them up in a review as part of the deal so watch this space

Cool. Looking forward to build and range report.

If you need a hand with load devt for your 260AI I have a reasonable amount of experience with 140gn VLD's so sing out. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    I have around 80mm OAL

An want the 140gr to try go 3k
    80mm OAL is a lot for a short action..mmm My 6.5x6mmRemAI is 79mm maybee I could use a short action to build a lighter one

In my old Mauser action it gets the 140 going over 3K with a 25" tube without to much issue...Be nice to do it in a modern action ... Need to sorce some better brass first...Norma do cases, Must find some
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good

AB Precision
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    80mm OAL is a lot for a short action..mmm My 6.5x6mmRemAI is 79mm maybee I could use a short action to build a lighter one

In my old Mauser action it gets the 140 going over 3K with a 25" tube without to much issue...Be nice to do it in a modern action ... Need to sorce some better brass first...Norma do cases, Must find some
    its a squeeze at 82mm you have to mill the front an rear a fair bit an to get the bullet to unload if unfirerd is a pain have to pull it back then push it forward again an there not much left of the bolt stop but it can go that long.

doing a 7mm wsm at moment that will have long throat for the 180gr so will post photos of the build where is milled etc

Quote Originally Posted by tui_man2 View Post
    its a squeeze at 82mm you have to mill the front an rear a fair bit an to get the bullet to unload if unfirerd is a pain have to pull it back then push it forward again an there not much left of the bolt stop but it can go that long.

doing a 7mm wsm at moment that will have long throat for the 180gr so will post photos of the build where is milled etc
    Look forward to the thread... Be a while before I am ready. Got to finish other gear first
    Fishing ... Hunting its all good