Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 CZ 527 or Howa Mini Accuarcy

I assume you know that all East European Military surplus 7.62 x 39 has been made Prohibited Ammunition because it has a mild steel core and must be surrendered to Police by 30 September.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Jack View Post
    I assume you know that all East European Military surplus 7.62 x 39 has been made Prohibited Ammunition because it has a mild steel core and must be surrendered to Police by 30 September.
    I guess you weren't informed all the East Euro Ammo was bio degradable and disintegrates on Sept 29

There is one exception, the Yugoslav Military Surplus has a lead core I believe.

So far in this thread we've covered the CZ 527, Howa Mini Action, Ruger American Ranch, and Norinco JW-103.
    There are a couple others also worth mentioning.
    The Zastava M85 is also available here in 7.62x39.
    Ruger used to make a version of the M77 Mark II in 7.62x39.
    Savage makes the Model 10 FCM Scout rifle in 7.62x39.
    Australian International Arms used to make 7.62x39 Lee Enfields that took AK mags.
    They went out of business in part because their rifles couldn't be imported into the USA.
    That was due to their rifles using some parts made in Vietnam, which was subject to a US trade embargo back then.
    Those trade embargoes have been withdrawn since then, but I doubt AIA will be making a comeback.
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

I would give my left nut for a ruger M77 in 7.62x39..

Quote Originally Posted by The bomb View Post
    I would give my left nut for a ruger M77 in 7.62x39..
    Your wife owns both... has she allowed you to have one?

Your mini 30 was the bees knees!

how long will it take ruger to create a whole series of 66s???? there is a few .44 mag levers out there...seems a logical step to also do the same in the other calibres the mini 14s/30s/6.5s were produced in...... why not the 10/22 and 10/22mag while they are at it???? surely it wouldnt be hard for them to do and sure as God made little green apples,they would sell like hot cakes.

Ruger can't make or supply enough of their current range let alone start a new production.

I have a Howa Mini 7.62x39. I use Hornady training ammo with the 123gn SST through it. Brass and steel cases both shoot the same. Mine shoots consistently sub inch at 100m and often a ragged hole. It's barrel is cut down to 15 inches with a dpt on the end so bullets not going too fast. I have shot probably about 200 odd deer and pigs plus a few goats with it. I can achieve consistent kills out to 250m with it, but solid shoulder hits at range result in a wee dash'n'die. Usually about 50m if it happens and I don't lose them. As the bullets are going slower, bigger deer often go down more quickly. This is a cracking wee rifle and hasn't missed a beat after a lot of hunting. I have cut the magazine flush to a 3 rnd capacity. I carry a 5 in my pouch for a quick change. Works well. Weighs about 5 pounds all up. I use a Picatinny rail on it with QD rings on my scope and sometimes use a red dot instead of a scope
    hotbarrels and Micky Duck like this.

How hard to chop the mag?sounds like a similar setup I have in A7 in .308,can use open sights as well as red dot and scope on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Your wife owns both... has she allowed you to have one?

Your mini 30 was the bees knees!
    Don’t need either anymore..got 2 kids..Jacinta now owns my mini 30 and marlin 22, got paid twice what I paid for it though so not too painful..

Ha, ha... well said!

I’ll send you a PM in a day or two as I’m heading off on an overnighter

Easy to chop mag down to 3 shot. To be fair unless your 7.62x39 is really short and light you may as well have a 308. Mine is really handy and light. Works a treat and ammo cheap like 223. Kills way better than 223 on big reds etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiawatha View Post
    I have a Howa Mini 7.62x39. I use Hornady training ammo with the 123gn SST through it. Brass and steel cases both shoot the same. Mine shoots consistently sub inch at 100m and often a ragged hole. It's barrel is cut down to 15 inches with a dpt on the end so bullets not going too fast. I have shot probably about 200 odd deer and pigs plus a few goats with it. I can achieve consistent kills out to 250m with it, but solid shoulder hits at range result in a wee dash'n'die. Usually about 50m if it happens and I don't lose them. As the bullets are going slower, bigger deer often go down more quickly. This is a cracking wee rifle and hasn't missed a beat after a lot of hunting. I have cut the magazine flush to a 3 rnd capacity. I carry a 5 in my pouch for a quick change. Works well. Weighs about 5 pounds all up. I use a Picatinny rail on it with QD rings on my scope and sometimes use a red dot instead of a scope
    If you trimm the guiding flaps either end of the follower and leave out the base spring locator youll fit another round or two in piece of piss

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigunguy View Post
    So far in this thread we've covered the CZ 527, Howa Mini Action, Ruger American Ranch, and Norinco JW-103.
    There are a couple others also worth mentioning.
    The Zastava M85 is also available here in 7.62x39.
    Ruger used to make a version of the M77 Mark II in 7.62x39.
    Savage makes the Model 10 FCM Scout rifle in 7.62x39.
    Australian International Arms used to make 7.62x39 Lee Enfields that took AK mags.
    They went out of business in part because their rifles couldn't be imported into the USA.
    That was due to their rifles using some parts made in Vietnam, which was subject to a US trade embargo back then.
    Those trade embargoes have been withdrawn since then, but I doubt AIA will be making a comeback.
    You forgot the Interarms Mark X Mini Mauser, also produced by Remington as the Remington 799
    Name:  20190904_162907.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  4.45 MB
    Luke556 and Been Upto like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.