Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 7.62x39 (or similar) bolt gun decisions

7.62x39 (or similar) bolt gun decisions

Hello Guys

I recently sold my Howa Mini 7.62x39 . . . it was an accurate, functional little rifle but I just couldn't get to like it (and it was the second time I've done this with a Howa mini), I really don't think they are a bad rifle, they're just not me.

Anyhoo since I sold it I've been taking a friend's 10 year old lad hunting a bit and he's shot the 223 a couple of times with good effect. Now its time to chase a Red and whilst this time I'll be doing the shooting this weekend I'm thinking of the future and bugger it, I just need a nice light suppressed 7.62x39 (or better still something about the same power with a 308 bore, or maybe a Grendel).

So - thoughts on the options, given a Howa doesn't really do it, what are the pro's and cons of the rest - CZ 527, Ruger American plus any others in the sub $1200 sorta bracket ??

Edit @PommyMcPomFace wrote me an excellent PM on his thoughtsbetween the Howa and CZ which would be good to see here . . . .

Yeah, old @PommyMcPomFace knows some things about some things, but he doesn't like crowds...

Copied and pasted, more or less...

There's pros and cons to both. I'd say that the Howas are quite utilitarian in comparison to the CZ's. And the CZ's have a bit more character and could almost be described as a poor man's Sako.

I don't know whether a factory CZ rifle would do the same thing or not - or whether it's the cartridge, my magazine, or artefact from the conversion from 7.62x39 - but my CZ doesn't always feed very well. I've learned to live with it but the Howa just works, all the time, every time.

I lightened the trigger on the Howa to about 1.5lb by snipping the spring. It's nicer, but it still doesn't compare to having the adjustable set trigger on the CZ.

The standard Howa mag system is shite in my opinion. The floorplate of the mags rattle. I had a 223 that didn't feed well because the fit was so sloppy. And wtf is the release catch doing right where your pinky finger wants to go?? The chassis was a big improvement here, because the catch on it is shrouded, it locks it in tightly, and some tape around the base of the mag cures the rattle. The CZ ones are slim profile steel mags and lock in very positively with a catch you can't accidentally press - nothing needs fixing.

This isn't entirely fair, since the Howa's got the factory barrel and the CZ's got a match grade Shillen on it. But I have been very pleased with the Howa - it's been a solid sub-MOA rifle - under 0.5MOA with the right load. But the Shillen somehow still puts it to shame and seems to tolerate much warmer loads.

The bolt is undoubtedly smoother on the Howa. It's a simpler more modern design that I'd trust to be a bit stronger and more durable than the CZ.

Hope that helps.

I hear you on the Howa mini . I love mine and it shoots and cycles flawlessly. But I cut the mag down to three shots, cut the release lever down by half and put a carbon stock on it. Result is a five pound cracking little rifle with the centre of balance in front of the mag with DPT suppressor on it. The CZ mag sticks way out in the wrong spot and the rifle while a cracker is heavier.

Zastava does one in 7.62x39 as well on a mini mauser action (m85) wood & blued. But its push feed and not a true controlled feed like the CZ.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    What's wrong with the 223 for deer?
    Troll

Same thing as the 243 but worse
    A new hunter should start with the 3006 and move down after a few solid kills.

Just to be clear, the 223 requires neck shots and ability to shoot into 3cm at whatever distance you shoot.
    I know you can kill a deer or goat with a good chest shot but often you dont get it that good.
    Crack shot experienced hunter like you - yeah. New hunter - nah.
    Kudu and Steve123 like this.

7.62x39 with a .308bore? Sounds like a 300blk might suit.
    Similar velocity as 7.62x39 when used with lighter projectiles, then you have the option to shoot heavies suppressed subsonic as well. Would work well in a nice compact gun like it sounds like you are after.
    tikka and Nugget connaisseur like this.

Or 30BR if he wants a bit more velocity. but then It will be a custom build and more expensive than a factory option.
    Steve123 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    Or 30BR if he wants a bit more velocity. but then It will be a custom build and more expensive than a factory option.
    Let's remember why lots of people are after 762 x 39 bolt guns.
    To burn off left over SKS and AK ammo.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 (Takes mini 30 Mags) or 300 Black Out (Takes AR15 Mags).
    Light, Accurate and have Threaded Muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget connaisseur View Post
    Zastava does one in 7.62x39 as well on a mini mauser action (m85) wood & blued. But its push feed and not a true controlled feed like the CZ.
    At least you can single feed a push one, a control feed needs to come up from the mag

if you feed a .223 with a barnes type projectile going 3000fpsish.....its a horse of completely different colour.....up to about 150 yards it has the goods on reds,at bush ranges a chest shot results in bangflop...the 140lb boar that had one slipped in behind nearside leg pulped lungs and broke offside leg would tell you its plenty enough gun.....that said we did the x39mm thing for young fella and really enjoyed its killing ability WITHIN RANGE...we lost a plurry good stag as thought range was 150ish but was a 100yards more......shot went too low and after hour of tracking in rain we lost all trace in the rain.... you could use a .308 down loaded and still be better off.
    mimms2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Ruger Ranch in 7.62x39 (Takes mini 30 Mags) or 300 Black Out (Takes AR15 Mags).
    Light, Accurate and have Threaded Muzzle.
    Yea I really liked the look of the Ruger online, until I handled one today cause that plastic stock to me looks/feels horrible
    The trigger guard looks like its a moulded part of that, could it take something like a Boyds laminate stock ? that would certainly make it more usable IMHO, I guess you cant expect too much for a $900 gun ??
    Maybe a CZ527 ? am waiting to see what 55six bring in in this cal before I spend any more horseheads dollars on another rifle

Might sound a bit petty. But what put me off getting a CZ 527 7.62x39 was the synthetic stock. Looks and feels like cheap shit. Looked high and low for one in wood but couldnt find one.
    Tentman and Steve123 like this.

I've seen a Chinese one bisley I think was the brand name. Interesting rear locking bolt very slick to operate. Usual wood for a Chinese rifle the owner used it as a general purpose gun on a station up the back of Wanganui shooting goats, pigs, deer, bearing ewes etc.
    That got me started thinking about converting a 303 to this cal, so far I've only got the donor rifle though.