Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 7mm mag Finn

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by leathel View Post
    I don't know about needing 24" in a Rem Mag, in the one I loaded for we got 3100+ fps with the 162 amax without any problem, I felt it did slightly better then the SAUM in a 22" barrel and do you need any more speed than what we got? most dont shoot further than the energy at that speed

and that rifle was only 6.5ld all up and the recoil was shootable..... be nicer to shoot with a brake though
    KiwiGreg should have the brake you want !

That 22 inch rem mag sounds like the ideal NZ hunting rifle, actually anything pushing a 7mm A-Max at 2900fps+ is ideal.

Ebay.com had a set of Redding 6.5 Rem Mag dies going cheap......

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Im not sure what getting the most out of something really means. Half the people dont own a chronograph and think their projectiles going 300ft/sec faster than it is. The other half have a chronograph and are having sleepless nights because whatever they have is going 20ft/sec slower than its supposed to.

2" is probably 100ft/sec at worst. A 26" barrel is 2" more annoying than a 24" barrel. Many an expert has extolled the importance of "getting the most" out of your round, which usually means shagging around to get an extra 100ft/sec out of a pill thats got a BC of .2 and might as well have a parachute behind it. Lots of recoil, still balistically rubbish but it makes a number that looks good on the internet.

Im with 7mmSaum. Good projectile out of a handy length barrel. Ideal.
    YOU'RE NOT GETTING THE MOST OUT OF YOUR CALIBRE WITHOUT A 30 INCH BARREL BECAUSE YOU COULD GET EVER SO SLIGHTLY MORE VELOCITY WHICH GIVES YOU A REAL, OBSERVABLE DIFFERENCE IN THE REAL WORLD, HONEST.

(I'll stick with lighter and shorter and deal with losing that 34 feet per second.)

Banned
    Gimp what your phone number, trying to get ahold of you.
    And a 7mm Remington Magnum in a short barrel is a .280 with lots of muzzle blast and a nasty kick.