Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree83Likes

Thread: 7saum vs 280ai vs 7blaser vs?

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    @veitnamcam what's the loads and velocity you are running, does it kill things?
    153atip Hornady brass 56gr RL26 215 primer COAL .30065" 2985fps from 22"

It certainly does up close(less than 300y) I haven't had to test it's long range terminal effects yet but the atip appears to penitrate a bit then open up....more like a Berger or Targex than a Amax or Eldm.
    I hope they work at longer ranges....my googling suggests that they do.
    Have shot steel out to a K which is about as far as I can go with single turn turret and stacked a nice group consistent with data.
    I'm pushing them out of a 7 twist so the extra rpm may help expansion or not....
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Pretty much, walked into one shop and purchased everything I needed.

I've had a 7mm rem mag, 7mmsaum, 280ai (2x), 300wsm, 300 win plus many other magnums that all roughly do about the same thing. 6.5prc is the smallest capacity of all mentioned so of course going to be slightly slower but still going to do the job. I'm going to try a dpt non magnum on it as well, they say can handle up to 30-06 capacity which is what the 6.5 prc is. Another saving as I already have one.
    well I was going to suggest just going bog standard 30/06.......... and why the heck wouldnt you??? so much easier all around. lots of components,lots of energy, yeah maybe a few more clicks on the dial...but so what.... if you going to twiddle n fiddle it matters not.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Also running 129 interlock 43gr 2209 210 primer which is pretty much minimum load as a reduced recoil load for kids.
    It works but terminal performance is a bit lackluster which is not surprising as it's only doing 2000fps at 250y!

Actually looking to stoke this one up a bit now.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    well I was going to suggest just going bog standard 30/06.......... and why the heck wouldnt you??? so much easier all around. lots of components,lots of energy, yeah maybe a few more clicks on the dial...but so what.... if you going to twiddle n fiddle it matters not.
    Because it's not 1906?
    veitnamcam, Micky Duck and Kelton like this.

yeah yeah...you fellas and your flash Harry new ideas......... the older cartridges have had a new lease of life with new powders and more sleak projectiles....and different twist rate barrels....but some times the old ones just are pretty darn good too.... the 7mm-06 in its true .277 form isnt to be sneazed at and there are plenty of other close cousins.....find it funny as heck the .280AI gets rave reviews yet no one does the AI to the .277 version cause its good enough already LOL.....ducking head now waiting for all the jandles an gumboots to fly!!!
    Rich007 and Moa Hunter like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    153atip Hornady brass 56gr RL26 215 primer COAL .30065" 2985fps from 22"

It certainly does up close(less than 300y) I haven't had to test it's long range terminal effects yet but the atip appears to penitrate a bit then open up....more like a Berger or Targex than a Amax or Eldm.
    I hope they work at longer ranges....my googling suggests that they do.
    Have shot steel out to a K which is about as far as I can go with single turn turret and stacked a nice group consistent with data.
    I'm pushing them out of a 7 twist so the extra rpm may help expansion or not....
    OK interesting, saw a few packs of the 153 for sale today but just grabbed another 147 pack, half the price is the kicker...

I hope the bergers shoot well, if they do I will need to track down another pack or two.

I only have 2217 as a suitable powder, if I can get 2900 I will be happy... but maybe only 2850.

Can Get superperformance but reviews are variable in terms of stability

My barrel will be 1:8 which should be plenty and might avoid the rumors of projectiles blowing up mid flight
    Micky Duck likes this.

OK interesting, saw a few packs of the 153 for sale today but just grabbed another 147 pack, half the price is the kicker...

I hope the bergers shoot well, if they do I will need to track down another pack or two.

I only have 2217 as a suitable powder, if I can get 2900 I will be happy... but maybe only 2850.

Can Get superperformance but reviews are variable in terms of stability

My barrel will be 1:8 which should be plenty and might avoid the rumors of projectiles blowing up mid flight
    Yeah while certainly more twist is going to increase the risk I wonder how much of it is actually due to roughened firecracked throats?

2217 should be good.

Yeah while certainly more twist is going to increase the risk I wonder how much of it is actually due to roughened firecracked throats?

2217 should be good.
    If you did it again would you stick with a 22" barrel?

How many rounds have you launched? Would be interesting to scope the barrel

If you did it again would you stick with a 22" barrel?

How many rounds have you launched? Would be interesting to scope the barrel
    I'd either go longer and no suppressor or 20" suppressed and probably a 8 or 7.5 twist...... unless some heavier bullets come out
    I'd have to have a count up but at around 350 down the tube and throat still looks good but I don't thrash it on gongs either.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Good to hear they work in close . I’m sure they will go fine out far. I agree fire cracked/rough bores and throats not just speed and twist . Example 28nosler good for the first few 100 fast twist fast velocity starts blowing up with 300 down the tube …. 180 eldm
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    Good to hear they work in close . I’m sure they will go fine out far. I agree fire cracked/rough bores and throats not just speed and twist . Example 28nosler good for the first few 100 fast twist fast velocity starts blowing up with 300 down the tube …. 180 eldm
    That's when you change to hammer or cutting edge etc

I think we are reaching the point in heavy for cal 6.5 and 7mm that for the bigger magnums going to a gain twist or monolithic super heavys might be the only real solution.

GWH
    Also running 129 interlock 43gr 2209 210 primer which is pretty much minimum load as a reduced recoil load for kids.
    It works but terminal performance is a bit lackluster which is not surprising as it's only doing 2000fps at 250y!

Actually looking to stoke this one up a bit now.
    Change the bullet to something that expands easier, should kill much faster at the lower velocity than the interlock. Something designed for grendel velocity would be sweet

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Change the bullet to something that expands easier, should kill much faster at the lower velocity than the interlock. Something designed for grendel velocity would be sweet
    At the time I worked this up there was pretty much nothing 6.5 avalable.....now I dont really need it.
    But I'll stoke them up and see how they go for giggles and shits.
    GWH likes this.

Shot 2 deer this morning with the PRC, 140amax!
    veitnamcam, Bill999, Danny and 1 others like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

It’s hard to go past the old 140’s aye. I have a few left but I’ve been using 143 Eldx exclusively as a good c loads for me.

Even at 5 metres they smash through even large animals: @2820 fps.

@Vietnamcam & co how do those 147’s go up close at said Prc velocity’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    outdoorlad and hotsoup like this.
    Dan M