Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 7x57 users out there

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
    Howas shoot just as well as tikkas and are a couple hundred cheaper so do savages . The tikkas are nicer to carry but if value blah blah accuracy blah blah then howas would take that prize. You can pick up a brand spanker in stainless for 400$ chaper than a tikka.
    I talked a mate of mine into a brand new 6.5 howa as I rate them and he didnt want to spend the extra on the tikka.
    We got it suppressed and of to the range we went.
    I was that embarassed about how inaccurate it was I paid to get it bedded myself and I did a load up for it myself.
    Thats the last time I will recommend a howa.by the way it goes great now but I was not a happy camper at the time

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk now Free
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Ejected
    Nice new watch you have there andy

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Andy, don't get carried away
    I have owned a fair few rifles myself
    Tikka M55 308, M595 270, M690 22-250 them all shot well . The Tikka M690 in 22-250 that I liked so much I bought it back off the shop I traded it in.
    I've had three dealings with the T3, one a mate bought on my recommendation in 6.5x55 that shoots like a dream with N560
    A 7mm 08 that I bought and traded back within a month for an Abolt in tha same calibre simply because it felt cheap, and another 7mm08 that my bro in law bought that I persisted with for ages and couldn't get it to shoot worth a damn.

Seems to me they are pretty much the same as most others.
    I've a young friend that has bought a T3 in 7mm magnum with a Gunworkes supressor, last weekend we tried her out, he's a young fellow and he's getting groups under an inch with factory ammo [ cheap federal]

Take from this what you will, seems some do, some don't
    I currently don't own any Tikka's and unless I find an older one I fancy, I probably never will
    tui_man2 likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I have owned top of the range weatherby hs precision model seven rems all of which I have had to fxxk around with to get to do what the plastic fantastic does OUT OF THE BOX!
    My current bog standard Savage 223 and previous 204 both shot half MOA or better with handloads (204 needed a re-crown to fix the previous owners mangled attempt at threading, can't blame the manufacturer for that), sub-MOA no problem with the right factory ammo either. Even my Savage 22mag shot sub inch groups at 100m!

Family members have a couple of Rem 700s and another Savage which do about the same. My Ruger is considered the inaccurate rifle in the family because it 'only' does 0.75 MOA. So you'll have to excuse me for not finding Tikka's accuracy guarantee overly impressive.

I'm not saying they're bad, just that other rifles are just as good - buy whichever you prefer the feel of.

Back on topic, my mate likes his Ruger 7x57 but does complain about the cost of factory ammo compared to more common rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Wetweasel - try the 7x57, you will need to find an older 2nd hand rifle, Ruger, Winchester, BSA etc. It will kill anything here in NZ comfortably and probably in Oz as well, wont cost as much as any of the rifles mentioned in all the previous bullshit. Usually very easy to get to shoot straight, and mild on the shoulder, a fun calibre with plenty of options if you dont reload, and lots more if you do. If you can find one at the right price, an old BSA Viscount [commonly called a "Hunter" but the Hunter was only made in 22 Hornet and 222], slap a decent scope, 4x or 2-7, and go shoot some shit.
    All bull shit aside unless you get a good second hand 25 year old rifle if it dont shoot you think ,I will stick a new barrel on and it goes a lot better.then throw a bedding job at it and it relly starts to go good, and then the trigger a bit heavy I might stick a timney in and all of a sudden your $350 bargain aint one.
    You know why I say this?
    Because I have done it!
    Buy once cry once

The forum was a bit boring for a while. This shits entertaining.
    Wildman and GravelBen like this.

Quote Originally Posted by distant stalker View Post
    The forum was a bit boring for a while. This shits entertaining.
    There is only shit on tv might as well shit stir on the forum!

Toby likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    Just a suggestion
    Guy wants to learn about a 7.57
    If we want to make a T3 thread, then we should.
    nor-west, GravelBen and Nibblet like this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    My current bog standard Savage 223 and previous 204 both shot half MOA or better with handloads (204 needed a re-crown to fix the previous owners mangled attempt at threading, can't blame the manufacturer for that), sub-MOA no problem with the right factory ammo either. Even my Savage 22mag shot sub inch groups at 100m!

Family members have a couple of Rem 700s and another Savage which do about the same. My Ruger is considered the inaccurate rifle in the family because it 'only' does 0.75 MOA. So you'll have to excuse me for not finding Tikka's accuracy guarantee overly impressive.

I'm not saying they're bad, just that other rifles are just as good - buy whichever you prefer the feel of.

Back on topic, my mate likes his Ruger 7x57 but does complain about the cost of factory ammo compared to more common rounds.
    At the start I put the savage in the same basket as the tikka as accurate out of the box.i rate the savage accutrigger as bloody good on a medium priced rifle. I have two savages in the safe one a 22lr which is unbeleivable for accuraccy.the other a older 7mmrem tactical which is a ripper as well.
    I get alot of people asking me for advice about what rifle to buy.
    To save egg on my face I will reccomend tikkas and savages as they shoot really well OUT OF THE BOX

GravelBen likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    Just a suggestion
    Guy wants to learn about a 7.57
    If we want to make a T3 thread, then we should.
    I think I am winning dont stop the fun now!

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    At the start I put the savage in the same basket as the tikka as accurate out of the box.i rate the savage accutrigger as bloody good on a medium priced rifle. I have two savages in the safe one a 22lr which is unbeleivable for accuraccy.the other a older 7mmrem tactical which is a ripper as well.
    So you did! Glad to see some good taste around here.

Tikka T3 long action bolt stop
    My replacement bolt stop wasnt made out of tough enough ali and has mushed under the force of stopping the bolt

has anyone got one from somewhere other than beretta?
    or is anyone handy enough to make me one?

cheers

Ooops I seem to have put this in the wrong thread, I most humbly apologise to the perfection of the Tikka LMAO just couldn't help myself.
    GravelBen and Toby like this.

I was just about asleep and now you want to play again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post
    My replacement bolt stop wasnt made out of tough enough ali and has mushed under the force of stopping the bolt

cheers

Ooops I seem to have put this in the wrong thread, I most humbly apologise to the perfection of the Tikka LMAO just couldn't help myself.
    BRADS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steveh054 View Post

cheers

yea yea smarty that was a home made replacement
    thats what happens when you get non factory parts

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    yea yea smarty that was a home made replacement
    thats what happens when you get non factory parts

Original still had to be replaced by the "home made replacement"