Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Accessories review

Accessories review

Im looking at getting covers for the scope and supressor on my hunting rig, I'd appreciate any feedback you guys have on your experiences with either the weka moa stealth suppressor cover or the Bush buck snap-shot scope covers. Both kiwi companies, both reasonably priced. Cheers

I had the bushbuck snap back covers and hated them as they don't sit well on the scope and look like shit, I just leave a normal neoprene cover on till I'm in my hunting area.
    Bushbuck have some great gear but the snap back scope cover isn't one of them.
    Nathanfish likes this.

Cheers mate I appreciate your feedback. That's one off the list. If anyone can recommend some good functional covers that would also be great

Mountain bike inner tube cut to the length of a suppressor works awesome, fits tight, low profile, it handles high rate fire and most important in my case very quiet when stalking in close no ting ting when sticks brush against suppressor.

GunWorks make good scope covers.
    dannyb, mopheadrob and Nathanfish like this.

I've tried a few scope covers over the year.
    Various flip up all ended the same way, ripped off in the scrub.
    A scope "bikini" only lasted one trip before it broke

I now use a gunworks neoprene cover that is tough, light and works well. Its quick enough to get off in open country/tops type hunting. Its not on when I'm bush stalking as its to slow to remove.
    dannyb, mopheadrob and Nathanfish like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

What is the main purpose for the suppressor cover?

Suppressor wasn't cheap and I'm basically a cheap bastard so I want to keep my gear looking pretty.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    What is the main purpose for the suppressor cover?
    For me it to stop the noise it makes when pushing through the scrub, it makes a very distinct and metallic "tink" everythin a twig touches it, quite loud and a dead giveaway to a close deer.

I like that bike tube idea.
    tikka, dannyb and Nathanfish like this.

Further to the bike tube on the suppressor, @Moa Hunter introduced me to the 3" wide section of car inner tube as a scope cover. I have a neoprene cover but I leave it at home now when I go hunting. The inner tube keeps the lenses dry, doesn't fall off and you're not worried if you lose it. I've used one to start a fire when nothing else would burn.
    mikee, csmiffy and dannyb like this.

I use the self gripping tape on my suppressor too. I buy it on trademe.
    Last edited by Dama dama; 21-04-2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: typo, as usual

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    I have no idea why how it looks is even a valid comment. It's a scope cover, not a fashion accessory. I've had one of those horrible, nasty looking covers on my scope for 3 years. Bloody good bit of kit and I don't give a flying fuck what it "Looks" like. It's practical and does it's job well, though it does leave the turret caps exposed and on my BDC scope that's not necessary.Scope has had the same thrashing the rest of the rifle has had and it has lasted well. That scope normally wears a sun shade too and it'll fit that. When I don't use the sunshade in the bush, it still fits as all you have to do is twist it a little at the anchor point on the turrets.
    In short, like most of the Bush Buck stuff I've got, it works.
    Ok let me further quantify then....it does not sit well on the scope, it's a pain in the ass to take off as you have to remove each end individually so takes twice as long as a normal neoprene scope cover, when the "ends are removed they flop all over the place and generally get in the way and obscure your vision around the scope and due to that they also play havoc with your peripheral vison.
    Maybe I was being lazy describing them as "looking like shit"

As previously mentioned I like and own a lot of bushbuck gear just the scope cover didn't work for me for the above reasons, if you've had better success with them I am happy for you

Neoprene scope covers off Ali express, bike tube or neoprene on suppressors, with a few wraps of para cord either end to secure.
    dannyb and Nathanfish like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanfish View Post
    Suppressor wasn't cheap and I'm basically a cheap bastard so I want to keep my gear looking pretty.
    Self-adhesive bandage / strapping / tape - $9.50 a roll is all you need. They come in a choice of camo colours too. Don't leave it on long term (moisture / grit / grime needs to be cleaned out or it may damage the finish on the suppressor), and remember that it insulates the suppressor, meaning that it takes much longer to cool down. Bicycle inner tube also works well - at least as well as the silicone job, at a fraction of the price.
    Both make it less noisy when it bumps brush or branches when bush-stalking.
    Last edited by Bol Tackshin; 21-04-2020 at 12:19 PM. Reason: too fast on the keyboard
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntfisheat View Post
    That's understandable.
    I just ignore it flopping around as it doesn't interfere with my sighting.
    Wow did we just disagree like adults without resorting to childish name calling ......
    I think I need a drimk now
    ROKTOY and Trig like this.

The weka innovations suppressor covers are awesome. Easy to put on and off and stay in place well. I did the bike tube trick once and it was good but a prick to get on and off. Maybe I could have tried a different size or type of tube. I also used to use self gripping tape which was ok until it started getting sticky or deformed on a hunt.

For my scope I just use a neoprene cover. When bushstalking I use nothing but otherwise the neoprene cover is on and it takes a matter of a few seconds to pull the rear of it backwards and flick it off. Protects the whole scope from knocks, not just the lense.
    dannyb and Nathanfish like this.