Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 2 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By dannyb
  • 1 Post By nzfubz
  • 1 Post By ando2506
  • 1 Post By Pauli

Thread: Advice on importing parts from Australia

Question Advice on importing parts from Australia

Hey guys, I'm looking at importing a fluted titanium bolt handle for my recently re aquired semi custom sako a7 270wsm.
    Unfortunately no one in New Zealand manufacturers them or imports them.
    I spoke to the Christchurch Arms office and they directed me to the appropriate form on the NZ Police website.
    What I'm unsure of is does a part like a bolt handle need to be recieved by a dealer like when using the dealer network within nz to courier firearms, or can it be sent to my address ?
    Has anyone else been through the process that could offer advice ?
    I know it won't help me shoot better groups it's purely for vanity, I just like having a unique rifle that's as nice to look at as it is to shoot.
    Thanks
    Danny

Name:  20220204_191143.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  4.51 MB
    Last edited by dannyb; 09-02-2022 at 03:10 PM.
    keengunNic and DBD like this.
    #DANNYCENT

#DANNYCENT

I doubt there will be any problem. It's technically a part bit it's a pretty insignificant and useless part that you might be using as a door handle. Its not a barrel, bolt or functional part.
    I have several Tikka Bolt handles or ordered online, including an MTN 3d printed one from NZ.

Ask the retailer if they will post to NZ.

The one on it looks just like a Tikka as far as what I see externally. Attachment may be different.

I also like the Sterk Shooting stuff. And there are Lumley Arms. Both have limited availability and a bit dearer , just different design options.

Quote Originally Posted by CBH Australia View Post
    I doubt there will be any problem. It's technically a part bit it's a pretty insignificant and useless part that you might be using as a door handle. Its not a barrel, bolt or functional part.
    I have several Tikka Bolt handles or ordered online, including an MTN 3d printed one from NZ.

Ask the retailer if they will post to NZ.
    Have emailed them, just seeing what others experience is whilst I wait for a reply
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by CBH Australia View Post
    The one on it looks just like a Tikka as far as what I see externally. Attachment may be different.

I also like the Sterk Shooting stuff. And there are Lumley Arms. Both have limited availability and a bit dearer , just different design options.
    Unfortunately they are quite different to a tikka bolt handle, there are plenty of nz options for tikkas
    CBH Australia likes this.
    #DANNYCENT

Main issue will be getting the part from Australia. Police permit to import should be a formality (was for me when I tried importing Titanium Kimber bolt handles last year from the US (only to be stopped by the USPS not shipping to NZ)).

Quote Originally Posted by Kimber 7mm-08 View Post
    Main issue will be getting the part from Australia. Police permit to import should be a formality (was for me when I tried importing Titanium Kimber bolt handles last year from the US (only to be stopped by the USPS not shipping to NZ)).
    Because Australian red tape or just current covid hold ups ?
    #DANNYCENT

I'm picking not wanting to ship firearm parts out of Australia as too much hassle (hope I'm wrong for your sake). I've thought about getting some parts from Australia before and most chose to avoid sending out of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by ckp View Post
    I wanted to import some nosler 17 fireball brass. To do so I have to register as an exporter with Border force then get export approval from defence export control. Except no one will answer a phone or reply to an email as to how to apply to border force. Then the form I found that I think is required as I don't have a current passport the proof of identity was too hard anyway. So I gave up. If anyone knows anyone over there able to export I would be all ears.
    I went through this process when we had a shipment of firearms transiting through Australia seized. Not something I ever want to repeat again and the reason why we currently can’t get gear out of Canada at the moment.

Ordered Firearms parts from Aussie before, no issue. As long as you have a permit. It will get stopped at customs (maybe) if it does sent them the permit and they will release to your address, no need for a dealer to dealer.
    dannyb likes this.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Probably not the "correct" way to do it. If you have friends / family in Oz just get it sent to them and forward it to you from there . Done it myself and haven't had any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ando2506 View Post
    Probably not the "correct" way to do it. If you have friends / family in Oz just get it sent to them and forward it to you from there . Done it myself and haven't had any problems.
    +1