Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Air travel from Australia to New Zealand

I am looking at moving back home to New Zealand from Australia, would be looking at bringing a shotgun and two rifles back. Is there a limit of how many firearms you can have on the plane? I am looking at buying an Evolution Gear Rifle Case XL2540, which would hopefully hold a rifle, broken down shotgun and broken down T/C Contender. Has anyone got any other suggestions?

Just FYI - you'll need to apply for an application for Permit to Import (ref FRM 67B) and Air NZ won't check in rifles on codeshare flights. Suggest you apply months in advance for your FRM 67B.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    I am looking at moving back home to New Zealand from Australia, would be looking at bringing a shotgun and two rifles back. Is there a limit of how many firearms you can have on the plane? I am looking at buying an Evolution Gear Rifle Case XL2540, which would hopefully hold a rifle, broken down shotgun and broken down T/C Contender. Has anyone got any other suggestions?
    Is your nz licence still current?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Yes, I still have a current NZ firearms license

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    Yes, I still have a current NZ firearms license
    Excellent that'll make life easier, just getting the export permits from Australia and import permits for nz and you're sorted. When bringing a rifle from nz to au I just put it in a plano type case and then inside the cardboard box it came in and taped it up. Air nz made me take the bolt out and send it separate, it was put in a plastic bag and zip tied shut. I was very nervous about seei g it again but it showed up on the carousel in Melbourne just fine

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You are also need to get the final signature on the paperwork from police at the airport you are exiting the country from, I flew Adelaide/Melbourne NZ and was supposed to get a the Melbourne police to sign off the paperwork that was basically completed by the Adelaide police. Also when I did it (2013) you needed to go to the airport police department which in Adelaide was an office at the airport that had limited hours or an office at the port.

With emirates you can transport up to 5 firearms. They are very easy to deal with. You need to apply with in 1 month of departure. There is a form online on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by MaddoxMoyer View Post
    When it comes to moving back home to New Zealand and bringing firearms with you, it's essential to be well-informed about the regulations. Airlines often have specific rules regarding the transportation of firearms, including limits on the number of firearms you can bring on board. Checking with the airline you plan to fly with is crucial to ensure you're complying with their policies.Using a high-quality rifle case like the Evolution Gear Rifle Case XL2540 is a smart move, especially for the safe and secure transportation of your firearms.If you're in the process of planning your move and looking for ways to make your journey more comfortable, there are savvy methods to find business class flight deals.
    Fuck off bot

Weight will limit you. Only 1 case/bag containing all your firearms, max weight 32kg. I flew Quantas.