Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Alternative 1" scope for 30mm VX5-HD

Tentman, have a look at precision optics.net. In Canada, currently have Swarovski, Z3 and Z5 on sale, Z3, in 3x12x50 is a hell of a good scope, less than a grand, you now happen to know a Canadian fellow, who can get one for you,
    199p, Tentman, Gibo and 2 others like this.

The Toric is 20.1 oz according to the website, which is more than the VX5 but it doesn't have CDS type dialing, so you would be going backwards.
    I have a VX5 3-15 CDS that I really like, but have decided against putting one on my tahr rifle because of the weight. I was thinking VX3 or similar, so will be keen to see what you decide on.

I bought one of these, someone has to be first going on the .223. on special at CameralandNY for 4/5ths of feck all.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rif...15x40-bdc-600/

Do you know what reticle you want?
    All the scopes mentioned thus far have totally different options, if you are fussy about your reticle then that'll be a big factor.
    I'd also try decide what features I wanted (lockable turrets etc) as that'll have a big impact.
    Also whats more important, looks weight or scopes features/quality for it's given weight?

-The 4.5-14x40 VX3i is only 13oz and will be good for your 500m ish shooting, but to me gives up too much FOV on the low end for a hunting scope.
    -The Z3 4-12x50 at 14.5oz looks to be a good middle of the road option, can get the BT model and 4w reticle which would be my choice, but doesn't have parallax adjustment (if that bothers you) and the 50mm objective will mean you need taller rings.
    -Features per weight the VX6HD 2-12x42 is very hard to beat, locking turrets, illumination, 42mm so can mount it low. But the weight jumps up to 16.8oz.

For me, I'd take the weight hit and go for the VX6HD 2-12x42, has the reticles I want and good locking turrets, can mount it nice and low and the glass is good.
    The biggest feature is the 2x magnification, which is fanatics for up hunting close, but may not be of interest to you if you are shooting mostly long distance.
    The other great thing about the VX6HD and VX5HD is how forgiving the eye box.
    I've got a VX5 3-15 like you and am more than happy to cary the extra weight given it exceeds all my other expectations.

But based on what you've said thus far a Z3 4-12x50 BT from Canada looks to be great value, if you can live with the higher mounts.
    ebf likes this.

Vortex viper LH HD 3-15x42 good glass lightweight clicks a little mushy but otherwise great

see More on Razor HD LH 3-15ื42 ยป OpticsThoughts
    sneeze likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by yerimaginaryM8 View Post
    Vortex viper LH HD 3-15x42 good glass lightweight clicks a little mushy but otherwise great

see More on Razor HD LH 3-15ื42 ยป OpticsThoughts
    Good suggestion, I'll have a proper look at those, and another forumite has offered me a look though a Z3

I've recently purchased a Swarovski 1.7-10x42 Z6. Practical magnification range, and great glass - also (theoretically) more durable than the Z3/Z5's. 16 ounces in weight.

If I were in your position, I'd also look at the Zeiss Victory 1.5-6x42 HT, and the Schmidt Bender 1.5-6x42 Zenith.

There's no need to go to 10+ magnification for general hunting if your scope has good quality glass. When I had my Z5 3-18x44, I found it overkill for most situations. I normally had it on 8x.

The VX3 Leupolds are nice, value for money scopes (and LIGHT!) - brilliant daytime scopes. But the vx5/vx6 scopes are waaay too chunky in my opinion - at least on a classic hunting rifle.
    Last edited by Frodo; 22-03-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Thank @Frodo. My little Mausers both wear Kahles 2.3-7's, and I've never felt that magnification limited any of the shots I could take. However I now have the luxury of a dedicated rifle (CZ 7x64) for chasing Tahr, which is a real passion of mine. My binos are 8x, as these suit me best for finding game, and while a spotting scope might work for some people, for some reason I've never got on with them either optically, or carrying them uphill! The VZ 5-HD was superb on 15x for those occasions you want to take a closer look at something, so the aim is to duplicate it in a more compact package.

The suggestions have been great, there is so much "product" out there, I think its just a matter of stumbling round till it pops up. I'm into spec and performance so brand doesn't count much for me, if one of the less well known makers have the right thing I'll give them a go (e.g. my IOR 4x32 is a fantastic scope for its purpose).
    Frodo likes this.

For lightweight one inch tube:

No side focus 50mm objective then the 4-12x50 Z3.
    No side focus and if a 40mm objective is ok then Vortex Razor HD LH 2-10x40. The G4 reticle is a very good hunter.
    With side focus and a bit more Magnification Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42. ( my personal choice) or Z5 3.5-18. I have both Razor and Z5 and after a fair bit of time side by side in varying light there barely a hair between them glass wise, ( note, this is the Made in Japan LOW built Razor, not a lesser PST, Viper etc model)
    The Razor is smaller, cheaper, has better adjustments and better reticle options (well I like them better).Plus the vortex defender flip ups are practically indestructible.
    nor-west likes this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin