Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: An amazing Mountain Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Looks like a great deal of thought and development went into that. There are off the shelf options that will do what it can do for a far lower price, but that misses the point. To see such a package put together, with the best bits is always a pleasure to see.
    It sure is nice and I am a walnut blue man but I often wonder these super expensive rifles like this and Holland and Holland would they actually shoot any better than say a Shultz and Larsen Victory at likely quarter of price

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    It sure is nice and I am a walnut blue man but I often wonder these super expensive rifles like this and Holland and Holland would they actually shoot any better than say a Shultz and Larsen Victory at likely quarter of price
    No they dont.

They wont shoot any better than a Howa or Tikka to be honest.Thats not why people buy them though.
    veitnamcam and 300CALMAN like this.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    No they dont.

They wont shoot any better than a Howa or Tikka to be honest.Thats not why people buy them though.
    then I am no longer impressed and shall continue my quest to own a Shultz and Larsen victory ( in .270 ) I am not a firearm snob ( actually a lie I would love a Holland and Holland )

Quote Originally Posted by norsk View Post
    No they dont.

People buy them because they need something to spend their larger than average earnings on! Probably tax deductible, because they can afford an accountant as well. I have many other things higher up the list than a bespoke rifle, unfortunately!

Quote Originally Posted by 257weatherby View Post
    Tweed indeed! It would have to match my Tartan! North Island thinks it has mountains too.............
    Ah you'd be after a Fraser then
    Friwi likes this.

I could see the value in one of their double rifles, carefully selected wood, amazing fitting, incredible engraving etc etc etc Double rifles seem to require a lot more 'hands on' Victorian manufacturing technology than a bolt action which were the rifle for en-mass military production (and haven't rely changed much).

Quote Originally Posted by 300CALMAN View Post
    a lot more 'hands on' Victorian manufacturing technology
    you mean like the Titanic
    300CALMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by vulcannz View Post
    you mean like the Titanic
    no -you miss his point - hand checkered- hand fitting -the eye of a master gunmaker in stock design - craftmanship - hand rubbed oil finish - 14 point red engraved on one side plate - huge fallow buck on opposite etc etc etc no amount of graphite - cnc machining - cerakote fucken everything - fluted fucken back sight even could possibly replace that -

Don't forget the red recoil pad
    300CALMAN likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry the hunter View Post
    So here’s the thing with top shelf customs…. I’m waiting on a beautiful walnut/blued rifle to have its bluing finished. I made the stock for it from exhibition grade wood, hand inletted perfectly, 24LPI hand cut checkering with mullered borders, hand rubbed oil finish, custom sling swivel base inletted into the stock, and yes, red recoil pad. The metalwork is a Rem 700 that has custom oberndorf style steel bottom metal, a hand built M70 style 3 position safety, custom M70 bolt release, Sako extractor and custom bolt handle. It’s been trued and now has a Douglas premium barrel with a hand made barrel band.
    It really is top shelf stuff, and I would struggle to own a nicer bolt rifle. I have a friend that owns a Rigby highland stalker, and from a craftsmanship perspective is no nicer than my NZ made custom. To be honest, there’s bugger all hand work in the Rigby and it cost $25,000.
    But here’s the thing; you can get the nicest custom that you want built, but it will only be worth bugger all because it doesn’t have Rigby/Westley Richards/Mauser/Holland and Holland engraved along the barrel. Just the facts.

That said, I will be taking my custom out this roar. It will get used, and its sentimental value will increase with every day I use it. I appreciate finely crafted firearms, and it really is a pleasure to use a rifle that is built for you and has been thoughtfully planned from start to finish. Sure your Tikka T3 will shoot deer just as dead and just as accurately, but they just lack the X-factor. Well for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    So here’s the thing with top shelf customs…. I’m waiting on a beautiful walnut/blued rifle to have its bluing finished. I made the stock for it from exhibition grade wood, hand inletted perfectly, 24LPI hand cut checkering with mullered borders, hand rubbed oil finish, custom sling swivel base inletted into the stock, and yes, red recoil pad. The metalwork is a Rem 700 that has custom oberndorf style steel bottom metal, a hand built M70 style 3 position safety, custom M70 bolt release, Sako extractor and custom bolt handle. It’s been trued and now has a Douglas premium barrel with a hand made barrel band.
    It really is top shelf stuff, and I would struggle to own a nicer bolt rifle. I have a friend that owns a Rigby highland stalker, and from a craftsmanship perspective is no nicer than my NZ made custom. To be honest, there’s bugger all hand work in the Rigby and it cost $25,000.
    But here’s the thing; you can get the nicest custom that you want built, but it will only be worth bugger all because it doesn’t have Rigby/Westley Richards/Mauser/Holland and Holland engraved along the barrel. Just the facts.

That said, I will be taking my custom out this roar. It will get used, and its sentimental value will increase with every day I use it. I appreciate finely crafted firearms, and it really is a pleasure to use a rifle that is built for you and has been thoughtfully planned from start to finish. Sure your Tikka T3 will shoot deer just as dead and just as accurately, but they just lack the X-factor. Well for me anyway.
    you Hunter Nick - are on to it - best of hot barrells to your rifle - you will get hours of pleasure from it

I met a .275 in a Rigby-Mauser from about 1909 or so, three serial numbers in one direction from a rifle for King George and three serial numbers the other from one WDM Bell bought. I also thought how special could a best quality Mauser action be - just a snobby version of a Mauser right?

I was educated pretty much instantly. It was better made and finished than any rifle I ever met before, and worked and functions in a class above. It made a Tikka T3 or a Howa 1500 seem like a piece of chinese made junk. And it shot extremely well.

These are essentially custom rifles, and the makers dont let them out unless they shoot under an inch, and often much better. You are paying for performance as well as fit and finish.

Now, I dont know if a modern Rigby or Westley Richards is like that, but I would expect them to be. You could argue where the value for your dollar lies, with $25,000 against $2000 and I would agree with you, but people who buy $25K rifles can afford them. And if you can afford it, then it's not about the money. It's about the pleasure in quality.

People who buy from these makers are also traditionalists. A rifle such as the one pictured is aimed at the wrong market and I can see why they didn't manufacture it.
    Last edited by JohnDuxbury; 21-02-2023 at 12:56 PM.
    erniec likes this.

What ever floats your boat I reckon , whether you are fluffing around customising a Tikka or a high end custom it’s similar pleasure and reward just has a different price tag , cheap champagne is still champagne.
    I personally am not a fan of new rigbys , especially there scope mounting system .