Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Another "What Rifle" thread. Norinco JW-15 vs Ruger 10/22

Norincos are like a box of chocolates. If I had to get a 22 semi I'd probably save up and get a CZ or better (quality is long remembered after the price).
    Spudattack and 308 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
    Norincos are like a box of chocolates. If I had to get a 22 semi I'd probably save up and get a CZ or better (quality is long remembered after the price).
    What's better than a cz ? Was looking at volquartsen for a mate but the importer told me it would be over a year to get and didn't even bother to reply to my email.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    What's better than a cz ? Was looking at volquartsen for a mate but the importer told me it would be over a year to get and didn't even bother to reply to my email.
    Right you are, the last CZ 22 I fiddled with in a shop was sweet. I've been thinking as semis go the Anschutz Black Hawk is kind of sexy in an H&K kind of way.
    Deadeye Dicks - Rimfire Rifle

That Mauser is pretty sweet too!
    Toby likes this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I use a Voere semi, very accurate and with the cci .22 standard velocity it barely makes a sound.Name:  Voere .22.JPG
Views: 1805
Size:  431.3 KB

If you want to just get out there and shoot, and put the rifle away when you're done?
    Marlin 795. Pay to get it threaded and suppressed. Can get the threading done AND a suppressor for $150 or less.

If you love to tinker (like me), Ruger 10/22.
    Not as accurate as the Marlin straight from the box, but f**k they're fun to fiddle with. They're the lego toy of the gun world

Well I went and had a fit and feel of a Marlin, Savage, and a Ruger. Without going into details to avoid arguments, I personally felt the Ruger fitted me well, the savage fitted me best, but at $575 for just the gun and scope it wasn't particularly good value compared to the Ruger which was $599 for a scope, suppressor and gun. Now obviously the scope and suppressor are junk, but the scope on the savage is equally as shit. So the savage would of cost me about $50-75 more for threading, plus the suppressor.

So I ended up with a Ruger 10/22 Stainless combo with a 4x32 scope and cheap suppressor. Going to take it out this weekend for a shoot. Ill probably shoot it till the scope fucks out and chuck a second had bushnell/refield/leupold 3-9x40 at it. I enjoy tinkering, so who knows might have a play with this one, as it seems as if you can buy pretty much anything for it...

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    This all looks rather personal. Norinco appears to be definitely out. Maybe your question is really bolt v semi. My 2 cents worth is if you want to semi then get a Ruger as they are bullet proof as hell and I own one (with a trigger upgrade). If you want a bolt then buy a CZ. I don't own one but I know they shoot well and are bullet proof as well. If you think you are going to shoot a lot of subsonic then buy a bolt action. Don't skimp ... invest well. Secondhand on trade me (if you can sight it or even, better shoot it) always has nice rifles. Also send an email to your local or regional gun shops and tell them you are on the look out for a good quality trade-in. Only one of my .22's was brand new. Keep safe in the hills.

FWIW I changed from 10/2 to JW15 30 years ago and stayed. That was before aftermarket existed. Neither were super accurate at 50m and both had heavy triggers. The norinco's is heavy but crsp. Recently replaced extractor spring and caws and silencer. The ruger would jam once every 50 rounds - very annoying and impossible to fix. As a semi, it was always loaded just when I least needed it ie after I'd shot something. Also a wee learning curve for strangers to operate the bolt. That's my experience, I understand ruger can be very refined now.
    PestControl likes this.