Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By ilikepie
  • 1 Post By Trigger
  • 1 Post By NZShoota
  • 2 Post By HandH

Thread: Any MDT Oryx users want to chime in?

Any MDT Oryx users want to chime in?

Any good? Reviews seem positive for what they are and cost etc.

My only concern without physically having handled one yet would be weight. General idea would be probably .223 or .300 Howa mini with relatively short barrel for general plinking/pest stuff with occasional short walks in bush.

Pros/Cons?

i have one on my cz 22lr. not a lot of use out of it but it like it so far.

weight was not noticeable would like it to have some qd sling cups or some mlok placement of the sides but that's jus personal preference.

very comfortable with the grip and have found that i rest my thumb on the bolt side on the small taper at the top/back of the receiver

over all 8/10
    Preacher likes this.
    Good, Fast, Cheap....choose any 2.

I got the Oryx chassis (from Reloaders) and Howa 223 mini HB 20" action (Outdoors Hut) separately. The fit is good and no complaints. Very solidly built and sits well on my backpack/rest. I don't shoot PRS or anything like that so its usually prone or on a table. Walking around with it in its current configuration is probably not my cup of tea.

I think for your use, there is Shooters Ready in Cambridge that cuts them down for 300blk users who prefer using a shorter barrel. Not sure if he still does that but this maybe something additional FYI. https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....64/index4.html

There are also other Howa Mini action chassis to consider if walking around (weight reduction) is quite your thing - EXCL Lite, TSP-X and Sharps Heatseeker.
    Preacher likes this.

if its for a mini action i would probably look at the excel chsssis

The excel didn't really flick my nipples if I am honest. Feels very cheap (it is) and just saw a mate just bin his and go back to standard stock and drastically improved groups.

Those shooter ready jobs look slick. Probably don't need it that short but it's giving me ideas.

Definitely try and handle one first before laying out the $$$. I tried one on a mates 16" barrelled Tikka. Initial thoughts were, that's heavy for a small rifle and I also didn't like the very squarish foreend. Alright if just running a bipod or resting on a bag but not the most comfortable to hold onto.

As an aside, look into the reliabilty of the howa mini mags. My .223 has started to misfeed the last round. Bolt slips over the base of the case and catches half way down the case. Rifles done 120 rounds. Never had an issue with the 1400 rounds I put through the 7.62x39 version. Maybe its just my mag but a quick google has brought up similar issues.
    Preacher likes this.

Interesting. Is it just weak at the back of the spring maybe? Have you found it will do that even if you only load say 8 @NZShoota?

I use the Oryx on a T3x 223..well made/finished but too heavy for a stalking rifle. Great on the bench or for gongs.
    cheeseclip and Stimpy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Interesting. Is it just weak at the back of the spring maybe? Have you found it will do that even if you only load say 8 @NZShoota?
    Only just starting doing it the other day. Thought it may have been the ammo so tried a different load with different projectiles (and seating depths)...same result. Seems its just a weak spring. Was talking to a mate at the range today who also has one. He uses three different factory mags and one of his has started to play up as well but is random when it mis feeds. Not ideal when in the middle of a competition.