Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Anyone got Vortex gear?

Vortex vs Leupold? Anyone compared them?
    JP100 likes this.

got a viper HS, optics are brilliant and turrets are amazballs, was cheaper than the equivilent VX3.
    kiwishoota and JP100 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage .223 View Post
    Vortex vs Leupold? Anyone compared them?
    I have Leupold binos (now discontinued tactical model), and a mate has a couple of older leupold rifle scopes (VX-1 and VX-3, before the glass got shit). I would say the glass in my scope/ monocular is at least as good as those 3 optics, if not better. The scope is cheaper, and more full featured, to go along with better turrets, zerostop, pretty much better in every single way. The new Mark6 and Mark 8 scopes probably compete well enough, but if I were choosing, it would be Vortex every day

DAF
    I've got two 4 - 16 FFP PST's they are a great scope, repeatable clicks, glass quality is ok but for their price it's all good, you get what you pay for :-)
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by JP100 View Post
    Hi guys
    has anyone got vortex optics? have heard hundreds of great reviews of them.
    am currently waiting on a Vortex spotting scope(Viper HD 20-60x80mm) in the mail I order from the US. cant wait to get it.
    Heard good things too. Very nice - what'd that set you back?

That woulda been real useful the other day trying to see bullet holes at 660yds with a 25x.

Ejected
    The fabled around the square is a load of crap. He is forever having to sight the fucker in. The warranty is howevery good to go. He munted the first one and they replaced no questions.

Re: glass.

Although unscientific & highly subjective, I compared a friends Vortex 4-16x50 PST (30mm tube) with a S&B 4-16x50 (34mm tube) as the dusk fell tonight.
    The Vortex fell short if the Schmidt Bender by 8 minutes of what I felt was enough light to comfortable identify and make a safe shot at a hypothetical deer in the hedge row opposite ours (roughly 250m, without the illumination, about 6/8th cloud cover, both set on 8x).

I agree as others have pointed out that Vortex offer good features for their price.
    Both of the above scopes are very similar, but I make that an extra $361USD per minute between them.
    I recently bought a Viper HST and it has met my expectations so far, time will tell whether there are any drawbacks.
    One thing that did stand out was that the illumination on the vortex doesn't compare to the German one.
    Last edited by Moutere; 17-02-2014 at 10:36 PM.

A lot of my Yank mates think they're the tits. I might venture recommending waiting until the II series comes out. I think release is very soon on these, surefire and sparc.

Got a Vortex SPARC red dot on my chinky AK-47, bought off a forum member, worked great on sunday sighting it in at the deerstalkers range.....thumbs up......
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

My Viper HS 4 x 16 is all good.

I have a viper 4-16x50 on my 300wsm. Its a great scope. I had a leupold vx3 on it but wanted adjustable turrets with zero stop. I have shot out to 600yds with it easily. I also bought the vortex rangefinder its really good too. Furtherest reading i have had was a rock at 1020yds. Ranges deer at 700 plus yds easy enough