Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bagheera

Thread: Anyone have any experience with a Kahles Helia C 1.1-4 x 24 FFP scope?

Anyone have any experience with a Kahles Helia C 1.1-4 x 24 FFP scope?

Does anyone own or has owned a Kahles Helia C 1.1-4 x 24 scope?

I'm looking at one for a bush rifle project, but see it is a FFP scope (I've only ever used SFP scopes). Given is is only a 1-4 zoom ratio, I'm guessing the reticle does not enlarge too much at 4 power (as opposed to some larger magnification FFP scopes out there where the crosshairs enlarge quite a bit).

It may not be that much of an issue I suppose, as it's probably going to be set on 3 power and left, but I'm keen to learn any first hand experience with the scope.

The key thing will be whether the reticle gets too fine at low power.
    Carbine and Moa Hunter like this.

Im immediately curious on its eye relief?

I had one but found i left it on 3 most of the time in the bush. I thought i would zoom down to 1 in tight bush and shoot animals that jumped up at my feet but it never happened. Zooming out in tight stuff and back out in open stuff was distracting. The kahles was quite bulky and made the ultralight gun feel top heavy. I replaced it with a vx3 2.5-8x36 which was much lighter. I don’t miss the low end and have more utility.The first deer i shot with the vx3 was about 80 yards away in the bush at Stewart Island; -furtherest I have ever shot a deer in the bush down there. I cranked the scope up to 6x and placed a bullet nicely between 2 sticks that were blocking its shoulder. That said the euro scopes (and high end leupolds etc) have nicer eyeboxes and field of view.

@rossm-96 That was my expectation as well for the scope. I had planned on a mixture of low power in the tight stuff, and 3-4 power for most bush use. After weighing it all up though I actually went with a VX3HD 2-5-8x36 funnily enough, as it means I can use it within reason in open areas as well. Hopefully should be arriving today so I can mount it on my Kimber Montana 308 bush rifle. If I have my calculations right it is just on 6lbs suppressed with the VX3HD on top.