Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chainsaw
  • 2 Post By lau lau

Thread: Anyone running a 300PRC?

Anyone running a 300PRC?

My go to rifle is a 270wsm cut to 20” and sending a 140gr factory Berger at 3050fps. Now i have gone out and spent all this money on 20 packets of 6.5prc, rifle etc, only to one day clink that if i put them into the calculator they basically come out the same!

I am wanting a big gun for my Winter Bull Thar with some shots being 500 odd meters. Was looking at a 300win and ammo is hardy for that than a 300PRC!

I travel a lot for work, so finding the time for my reloading is getting harder, so factory ammo is key.

SO, is anyone running one for a hunting rifle? Or is a bit over kill

I haven't shot any of these, but the 6.5 PRC is essentially a WSM class cartridge.

300PRC, 300 WinMag and 7mm RemMag are the next class up.
    The 300PRC seems to be a modernised ballistic equivalent of the 300WM, better for reloading and for heavier bullets but at present harder to get factory ammo for.

Make sure you go shoot one before laying out dosh. Big 30cals come with plenty of recoil and big muzzle blast. If you want to shoot accurately at 500 yards then these factors need to be considered. Maybe a 300WSM? Plenty of go for 500yds. Or big 7mm ?
    To get the benefit you really have to hand load.
    mikee likes this.

The 270wsm will still smoke tahr at 500? Another vote for the 300wsm as can still run in a shorter configuration (19-21") and be devastating at range. Mate shoots 178eldx reloads, 200gr factory and 212gr reloads. Shoots big reds out a LONG way

mates 300prc throws hornady a-tips 230g @ 3000fps, He absolutly hated the recoil and would anticipate for it, and hes 6ft4 @ 140kg. so a solid unit. Put a t3 brake on it, and a limbsaver now its a walk in the park to shoot. same as my 300norma mag, 3150fps same projectile.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    The 270wsm will still smoke tahr at 500? Another vote for the 300wsm as can still run in a shorter configuration (19-21") and be devastating at range. Mate shoots 178eldx reloads, 200gr factory and 212gr reloads. Shoots big reds out a LONG way
    Yep it does and i have shot deer at 500 with it, but it can only run the one factory ammo to get the best out of it. yes i could reload, but this thing is just great. The Berger hybrid hunter has had some interesting results on game and am not 100% on it dropping a big, rutting, heavy coated thar at range.

300prc kicks ass, high bc pills that kills well and great factory ammo ( when available ) you cant go wrong.

Other option is to get someone like Kiwigreg @ Terminator products in Nelson to make you a harder hitting longrange load for your 270wsm
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

I have a 300PRC throwing the 230gr bergers at 2850fps.
    Have a terminator T3 brake and a krg bravo chassis and it soo easy to shoot
    Mick Hunter and Larskramer like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I haven't shot any of these, but the 6.5 PRC is essentially a WSM class cartridge.

300PRC, 300 WinMag and 7mm RemMag are the next class up.
    The 300PRC seems to be a modernised ballistic equivalent of the 300WM, better for reloading and for heavier bullets but at present harder to get factory ammo for.
    Local keen hunter runs a Tikka 6.5 PRC. Sent me a foto of the front quarters of a deer shot @ 494m. His butcher said cant do anything with the meat.