Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Frodo
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By timattalon
  • 2 Post By Copelli
  • 1 Post By Dicko
  • 1 Post By Cordite

Thread: Anyone used a Mauser 66?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    980

    Anyone used a Mauser 66?

    I'm picking up a Mauser 66s in a couple of weeks.

    Based upon handling it in the shop, I noticed the following:

    *They're over-engineered as hell (I think that was the whole point of the M66). They'd probably need more attention and maintenance than say an M98.
    *The 'telescopic' bolt mechanism is exceptionally smooth. Like butter.
    *They're quite hefty (approx 8.5-9lbs), but they balance nicely.
    *They're built very well - old world quality. No alloy or plastic. Just steel & wood.
    *They're modular. Basically the bolt action version of a Blaser.
    *The action is very compact, which allows for a shorter overall length despite having a 24" barrel.

    I'd like to know what they're like accuracy wise, and how they cope with NZ field conditions. How reliable are they?

    I've seen very few of them around. Definitely not your standard fare.

    Pic off google:

    Name:  mauser 66.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  33.2 KB

    Cheers!
    Last edited by Frodo; 16-09-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    sometimes1 likes this.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    1,117
    I've always liked them but have never held one, what calibre are you getting, new or used, silly dollars or Sako/Weatherby value.
    Frodo likes this.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invervegas
    Posts
    1,832
    A cobber has a couple (that he shoots but doesn't hunt with). They shoot pretty good and apart from the styling are the equal of an R93 in my opinion (not that that counts for much - either the opinion or R93's haha)
    Frodo likes this.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,781
    I held one at the range a few years back....must admit that it was hard not to start drooling. The engineering was fascinating to look at and as you say it felt as smooth as butter....
    Frodo likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    I've always liked them but have never held one, what calibre are you getting, new or used, silly dollars or Sako/Weatherby value.
    .308 Win.

    They don't make them anymore, but I snagged a 2nd hand one in mint condition.

    $$ wise, they normally crop up for $3-4k. You can get deluxe/engraved models, but they're in the silly money category.

    Something a bit different.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    A cobber has a couple (that he shoots but doesn't hunt with). They shoot pretty good and apart from the styling are the equal of an R93 in my opinion (not that that counts for much - either the opinion or R93's haha)
    More like an insult haha.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Rotorua
    Posts
    1
    Frodo

    The Mauser 66 is a very fine Rifle. I have one (single set trigger) in .308 in near mint condition, which I use for red deer hunting and have taken a couple of great trophies with.

    It is a heavier rifle, but I do like using it. The action is THE SMOOTHEST I have ever used!

    I would like to obtain a double-set trigger Mauser 66 one day. I see there is one on TradeMe at present.

    Do you mind telling me what you paid for your new one? As you say, really nice Mauser 66's seem to go for between $3000-$4000. Its a lot, but they really are beautiful rifles.

    Name:  P3180641.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  3.27 MB
    FRST and Frodo like this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by Copelli View Post
    Frodo

    The Mauser 66 is a very fine Rifle. I have one (single set trigger) in .308 in near mint condition, which I use for red deer hunting and have taken a couple of great trophies with.

    It is a heavier rifle, but I do like using it. The action is THE SMOOTHEST I have ever used!

    I would like to obtain a double-set trigger Mauser 66 one day. I see there is one on TradeMe at present.

    Do you mind telling me what you paid for your new one? As you say, really nice Mauser 66's seem to go for between $3000-$4000. Its a lot, but they really are beautiful rifles.

    Attachment 121170
    Nice stag mate, and sweet rifle!

    The M66 I was going to buy is actually the one on TM at present. :/ I defaulted on it - was juggling another purchase and directed my funds elsewhere.

    It's in mint condition (stock, action and bore); double set triggers; EAW mounts; Kahles 6x42.

    Looks much better in person. The photos online are rubbish.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    233
    Frodo, the 66s are getting quite cheap over here now. You can pick them up for under 2K. While supply is low, it appears to exceed demand. While the quality is good, weight and age has caught up, parts would be hard to find if needed.
    Frodo likes this.

  10. #10
    Member Cordite's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    NZ Mainland
    Posts
    4,015
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Frodo, the 66s are getting quite cheap over here now. You can pick them up for under 2K. While supply is low, it appears to exceed demand. While the quality is good, weight and age has caught up, parts would be hard to find if needed.
    A heavy gun is bad except for when you fire it.
    Frodo likes this.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Mauser 225
    By marky123 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 23-12-2018, 08:21 PM
  2. Mauser K98.
    By outlander in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 18-11-2018, 06:27 AM
  3. 8mm mauser
    By mosinchap in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-07-2018, 02:24 PM
  4. WTB: Mauser 98s
    By Rock river arms hunter in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-09-2016, 05:54 PM
  5. FS - Mauser 98 in 303
    By Tentman in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-08-2012, 12:18 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!