Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Ground Control

Thread: Anyone using a 6.5 x 55 with 18 or 19” Barrel

Anyone using a 6.5 x 55 with 18 or 19” Barrel

Probably not the best caliber to shorten the barrel up on but my ears need a suppressor , and don’t want it too long as it’s more of a bush gun , need a good bullet for the close stuff in the bush also, do I go heavy or fast mono’s ?

i have a 20" barrel on mine and use 140's. goats and deer don't seem to notice the shorter barrel.

I use a Tikka 6.5x55 with a 18 inch barrel and just love the thing , it shoots 143gn eldx bullets at 2730fps ( can get higher velocity , but that’s where the accuracy is ) and hovers between 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch groups .
    It’s just the right length with the DPT suppressor.
    I really deliberated for ages as to how short to go on the barrel , and after much research decided on 18 inch , I’m glad I did .

Name:  924D5E38-4424-474A-AFA1-249589E8444A.jpeg
Views: 185
Size:  4.81 MBName:  8A4370B0-CDB5-408E-8C43-C2195898B199.jpeg
Views: 181
Size:  974.6 KB
    Bill999 and DBD like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Yep 18inch 6.5 x 55 and 19 inch 270w here. Works great. My favorite carry and pointing rifles are still factory length bare though.

20 inch on my T3X shoots very well and isn't to long with suppressor on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Probably not the best caliber to shorten the barrel up on but my ears need a suppressor , and don’t want it too long as it’s more of a bush gun , need a good bullet for the close stuff in the bush also, do I go heavy or fast mono’s ?
    Either will work. For KISS purposes I just run 129 grain sp's for my bush 6.5. Good enough velocity for a slip or cross gully shot and hit plenty hard on deer size game.

I've not been super impressed with the monos I've used. They penetrate super well but end up with a longer tracking job ime over a bit softer bullet. Great for maximising meat recovery though. Plus they are spendy as fark.

Thanks guys , it’s going to get the chop , I thought the odd hunt here and there with this gun and no suppressor would be ok , but I already have significant hearing loss and my ears are not liking it at all

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
    Thanks guys , it’s going to get the chop , I thought the odd hunt here and there with this gun and no suppressor would be ok , but I already have significant hearing loss and my ears are not liking it at all
    short and suppressed is the future, I just wish I didnt wait till the damage was already done
    short and unsuppressed is not great at all tho haha