Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Ar15 scopes

12 x magnification is going to be plenty for 400M. Here's a pic out at 1200M of some deer on the farm behind our place.

You will have to excuse the reflections off the scope. I was taking a photo with my phone.

Name:  ior-2-12x32.jpg
Views: 649
Size:  216.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    Unless your doing 3gun course sort of close then I would agree that a 2 or 3 power at the bottom end would be fine.
    Saves a lot of $ over a good true 1x and allows a more useful top power on a real world budget.

Unless a 1-10 March or the like is within your budget-then you really can have your cake and eat it
    I shot 3 gun with a 4.5-18 Bushnell ar optics for a decent time and smacked many a close range bunny, so not like low power's a disadvantage. I miss my BDC reticle so bad

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    12 x magnification is going to be plenty for 400M. Here's a pic out at 1200M of some deer on the farm behind our place.

You will have to excuse the reflections off the scope. I was taking a photo with my phone.

Attachment 42805
    Thats pretty clear aye i like the reticle to. What make etc is it? And do you have a generous amount of eye releif?

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    I shot 3 gun with a 4.5-18 Bushnell ar optics for a decent time and smacked many a close range bunny, so not like low power's a disadvantage. I miss my BDC reticle so bad
    I have a bushnell ar optics on my ruger i cant complain aye i can bust mandarins at 100 with it just wanted a little clearer glass an different reticle for more medium range and the occasional close range..

Quote Originally Posted by peach fuzz View Post
    Thats pretty clear aye i like the reticle to. What make etc is it? And do you have a generous amount of eye releif?

Its an IOR 2-12 x 32. 35mm main tube so plenty of elevation and windage adjustment.

Eye relief - 3.5"

I managed to get this on the AR without requiring a cantilevered scope base.

Name:  IMG_20150906_160321.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  970.2 KB

As others have said all depends on what your gonna do with it really... If you had a smaller carbine set up I'd say go lightweight but from what you've said it doesn't sound like weights gonna bother you.

MK AR 1.5-4 is nine ounces

All up she weighs just over 5 lb

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  1,010.9 KB
    rockland likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Watson View Post
    As others have said all depends on what your gonna do with it really... If you had a smaller carbine set up I'd say go lightweight but from what you've said it doesn't sound like weights gonna bother you.

MK AR 1.5-4 is nine ounces

All up she weighs just over 5 lb

Attachment 42817
    5LB with a suppressor? That's pretty impressive. What scope and rings are you using? I'm currently 'weighing up' my options for a light upper in 223/300blk

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Peach Fuzz

I put one of these on my CMMG and haven't looked back.

Bushnell - 3-9x 40mm

Cheers
    Pete
    I have the 3x12 and I am not that happy with its turrets which seem a bit vague and wonky, they have no markings to say how many complete revolutions have been done, seems to not be good at light transmission (ie is only ok in bright light), its the second one as the first was replaced as the zoom dial on the first was too stiff and had considerable slack. While its not bad for the $230 money I wouldnt buy it again.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I've got a Leupy VXR 4-12 F-dot 4 on my RR. Heavy reticle but love the adjustable dot brightness. Excellent for blatting a few goat with the quick reference dot and still good for laying down for a few LR shots. Looking at also putting on a Bushnell First Strike or something like that for when their beady eyes are too close for the VXR.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    5LB with a suppressor? That's pretty impressive. What scope and rings are you using? I'm currently 'weighing up' my options for a light upper in 223/300blk
    Um it's the scope I talk about in the above post.

Rings are just aluminium nothing fancy really.

That rifle shown is in 300blk, that goat was shot with a sub 208... Hence why it wandered around bleeding out before keeling over.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tommy and Glycerine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    5LB with a suppressor? That's pretty impressive.
    Thats really impressive! Usually people talk about their 'lightweight' AR rig and then you find out its 8lb bare.

Um it's the scope I talk about in the above post..
    Aha yes so I see, I thought that was a typo of 'My AR 1.5-4' or something.. Thanks dude.

Most of that weight saving in the short barrel and stock, or have you got a polymer lower/any other fancy stuff going on? Good looking gun too!

I have a Leupold VX2 4-12 x 40 AO fine duplex on my Windham Varmint Exterminator in a Warne cantilever mount. Intended to use it on goats out to 300 yd. but I end up shooting a lot of critters close-in too.
    Only disadvantage is that the eye relief gets pretty long down at 4x.

Um it's the scope I talk about in the above post.

Rings are just aluminium nothing fancy really.

That rifle shown is in 300blk, that goat was shot with a sub 208... Hence why it wandered around bleeding out before keeling over.

how long is the barrel?

Yip short barrel helps for sure

Also the profile and the fact that it's 30 cal means it's fairy light