Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By K95

Thread: attaching a scope but the iron sight is in the way

attaching a scope but the iron sight is in the way

Hi everyone

I was looking at attaching a scope properly to this gun that I inherited from my father. As you can see the scope is too far forward because the iron sight is in the way.

So I guess my questions are what gun is this? and how would I go about removing the iron sight or at least adjusting so the scope will be able to come back enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Chocofish View Post
    Hi everyone

I was looking at attaching a scope properly to this gun that I inherited from my father. As you can see the scope is too far forward because the iron sight is in the way.

So I guess my questions are what gun is this? and how would I go about removing the iron sight or at least adjusting so the scope will be able to come back enough.
    A picture could help

Ejected
    Andle grinder or higher rings. Some iron sights can be tapped out with a brass hammer.

K95
    Angle grinder on an inherited rifle? Take it to a gunsmith and have it sorted properly without permanently altering the rifle.
    BRADS, ZG47, Tommy and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    A picture could help
    X2

Just realised probably cantpost photo till 20 posts, that used to be the rule? 20 full stops should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    A picture could help
    sorry forgot to add it in
    Name:  Rifle.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  658.0 KB

That would be a Toz 17 circa early 70s. Good wee rifles. Accurate and all. Do not lose the magazine as they are rarer than rocking horse poo. Take it to a Gunsmith and see what they can do. It should come off easy enough but dont lose it. Other option is higher rings to clear the sight or get a scope without the bell flare at the front.

Where in the country are you? maybe someone on here can point you to your nearest gunsmith. We are in Chch if that helps you.

Ive one exactly the same.the rear sight has a pin which secures it to the sight base&rifle.easily tapped out -sight comes off and bingo scope on sweet.incidentally Ive had mine 30+yrs and fitted with a trusty manders silencer (he made a threaded adaptor to go in the bellflashhider,it has seen many an animal and a few of kids pets meet a humane end.
    BTW-Ive got 3mags for mine --hehe

The Toz 17 is a good, accurate, and reliable rifle but as timattalon says, don't lose the magazine. The rear sight leaf can be removed by tapping out the pivot pin but that does not solve the problem of the sight base which often still fouls the scope. The easy way to remove the base is to tap out the base retaining pin and split the sight base front and back with a sharp cold chisel. As the base is dovetailed onto the barrel from the back, the only way to get it off in one piece is to pull the barrel from the action. Special tools have to be made for this job. The only alternative is cumbersome high rings.

attaching a scope but the iron sight is in the way

A 1-4x20 scope will sort the issue without any modifications.

There was another thread on here but can't remember the title of someone looking for one and a few cheaper ones turned up.
    Last edited by Spudattack; 03-03-2016 at 03:45 PM.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

have you got those scope rings ardup against the front end of the dovetail.from the photo isuspect not -you could try that ,then reposition the scope to just clear the base once sight is removed.