Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Aus vs NZ firearms prices

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    Back in the motherland at the moment.
    Checked out at gun shop in Gympie last week and man I got a shock. Rifles were wayyyyy cheaper in Aus than back over the ditch. I'm talking x bolts for about $800-900
    Howas for $650 Tikka a smidge over $1100, just a few examples I can remember. Anyone else noticed the difference in their travels. I expected there to be some variance but not quite as big a gap as I noticed. Considering current exchange rates. Middleman is making bank!!!

Sent from my RNE-L22 using Tapatalk
    As a refugee from New Zealand's western province also, I sort of have mixed views and find some price difference arguments can be somewhat subjective.

Sure, there are some types of firearms whereby Kiwis are getting completely reamed. Most notably O/U shotguns, whereby certain model Browning and Beretta shotguns cost over $2000 more than you'd pay in Oz. Another item appears to be certain brand of scopes, whereby the differences can staggering.

But....On items like ammunition, powder, reloading components, and reloading equipment, the prices are much more reasonable in NZ. It's a joke when you pay less for ADI powders in NZ, than you do in Oz where the bloody stuff is manufactured. Another great example was factory Norma ammo for my 358 Norma Magnum. Here in NZ I paid just NZ$82 a box, in Oz it was costing me AUD$119

Generally speaking though, it's pretty much a case of swings and roundabouts. Some things are cheaper here in the Isles of the sheep shaggers, other items more cheaper in the western convict province (whose greatest recent export appears to be returning most of the criminals back to NZ) !!!

This largely appears to be certain importers and distributors just simply maxing the profit margins on both sides of the ditch.

Brought my vortex past over there plus you get the tax back at the airport too....

Bos
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Same thing with optics aussie prices are about 15-20% less
    Found completely the opposite
    Leupold and Swarovski prices almost identical to ours from a couple of Sydney stores,once you take the exchange rate into account.

Must say I didn't look at optics. Firearms only.. Its probably not possible but can someone in Aussie sell a firearm to someone in NZ? Haven't bothered looking into it.. But might try buy a rifle next time I'm there and bring it back..

Quote Originally Posted by deepsouthaussie View Post
    Must say I didn't look at optics. Firearms only.. Its probably not possible but can someone in Aussie sell a firearm to someone in NZ? Haven't bothered looking into it.. But might try buy a rifle next time I'm there and bring it back..

Take along and careful look at it before committing. I have just sold four firearms in WA because it was 'impossible' to import them into NZ. Moving firearms from state to state in Aus is now problematic and expensive. If you think firearms laws in NZ are becoming problematic try to deal with WA - they are simply hostile and uncooperative - and that is the WA firearms branch.

In my opinion, don't wast your time. There's plenty to choose from here and the prices are ok - save yourself the grief.

PS. The only course of action that looks as though it would work is if you had the registered owner of the firearm come to NZ (for a shoot for example) and while they were here you purchase the firearm from them.