Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By timattalon

Thread: Back to basics

Back to basics

Right, long story short, took the 223 out and couldn't shoot for sh.. To the point that was asked if I'd ever shot before!
    Admittedly it was 25 odd (maybe more) years ago and I now don't drink a 40oz, smoke 30cigs and now wear glasses.
    So anyway after blaming loose suppressor, crap scope (package deal) and not so tight scope rings. I started naval gazing.
    Consulted financial officer who suddenly discovered the price of ammo, she suggested I get myself a 22lr semi target rifle and get practicing, then she pressed buy now on a second hand but never used Ruger Precision 22lr.
    Now have studied the 22lr scene and it looks like there's some cool events south of the Brynderwyns and I'd like to set the RPR for this in the future.
    The kicker being cost, $2000 optics are not on the table.

So here's the basics bit.... Scope to do the job, have fun not be crap and be under $500 inc rings

My list so far
    Bushnell trophy $400 in round numbers with rings
    https://broncos.co.nz/optics-and-sig...lt-4-12x40-doa
    Wulf Hurricane, 4.5-18 Pushing the $500 inc rings but very nice, have had a play with one.
    https://www.wulfoptics.com/hurricane
    Nikko stirling Diamond ffp, $600 with rings over budget but the cheapest ffp I could find.
    https://www.scopeuout.co.nz/collecti...32463506702387

What say you?
    Budget too tight, magnification wrong, don't need ffp? Remember this is budget mode but I don't need another piece of crap.
    thanks

ps I enjoy the Taranaki Long Range Shooting Podcast, any others I should be listening to?

Scope size depends onwhat you want to use it for. If your main goal is to improve your shooting accuracy then a 4-12 or 3-9 would very suitable. If using it on a 22LR I would suggest something with an adjustable objective to avoid parralax.

I will have a look through the last of our old shop stock. I may be able to rustle up some better value that what you have linked to.

As for the 223, there are many factors that could be coming into play but you areon the right track looking at seeing if it is you with another rifle...
    MB likes this.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

I will list any that you dont want in the buy sell section later but seeing as I went rummaging for you I thought I would give you first choice if there is anything you like ....

Thi post has a little less detail than the PM I sent you.

All of these are brand new, in the box.

With your 223, do you know if it i you or your rifle that is the issue? Is it a dodgly scope, or ammo. I had issues with my old 223 as it had a slower 1:10 twist instead of the later 1:7 so I could not get any decent groups out of 55 to 69 gr projectiles, but 35gr to 50gr shot like a laser.....the twist would not stabilise the heavier projectiles. And this is quite common in 223....

If is you and you want practise then the 22LR is a good choice. One idea to consider, is putting the same size scope on both rifles so that when you go from the 22 to the 223 it will feel familiar...

I will start at the cheapes and move up, but on the up side, my prices have not changed since 2011 so are inflation proofed.....I can send pictures but did not want to fill the post up with them.

Nikko Stirling 4x32 Mountmaster - . Probably too basic for what you want, but a decent wee scope for a 22LR.

Arctic Fox 4x40 Much the same as the Nikko above but slightly bigger. Quality is the same as well..

Nikko Stirling Gamekeeper 3-9x40 Probably more the size that most would put on a 22 or most standard hunting rifles.

Nikko Stirling Gold Crown 3-9x40 or 3.5-10x42 A few options here- all 3.5-10 so on par witht the 3-9 but I have it in Back or Silver so it can 'colour match' if you have blued steel or Stainless on your rifle....If it was between the Gamekeeper and these, I would grab these every time

Nikko Diamond 3-9x42 as above but a higher grade with japanese lenses and assembled in Japan. (before they shipped manufacturing to China)

And if you want larger for Longer range or bigger zoom

Nikko Nighteater 4-16x50 This has a Mil Dot reticle and a saddle adjustable oblective.

Nikko Target Master 8-32x44 Also made in Japan. I have a choice Mil dot reticle or a Fine Cross hair reticle. These have target type turrets but also come with turret caps. They include a sunshade extension and have the Adjustable objective. 8 power is porbably too high for practical hunting and these are more suited to target or long range / varmint hunting.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Thanks for the reply timattalon.

I've had similar thoughts regarding the 223, apparently the Sabatti is tested with Fiocchi 55gr and I now have a pack of 50. I blew a pack of PMC 55gr softpoint last time. The twist rate is 1:12, I see there is 45gr available.
    Scope on the 223 is definitely a $69.95 on special job and the rings were loose. I've now adjusted, bore sighted and tightened it. Will try it again without suppressor in 2 1/2 weeks as the range here is shotgun this weekend.
    I do think the scope will have to be replaced, but my confidence has to come back as well.

Thanks for the offer on the various Nikko Stirling scopes, but I'll wait as I'm hoping some forum members that attend the likes of the SPARC 22LR throw in their 2c worth.
    In the meantime, I've been doing a heap of trips to Auckland and back and had time to listen to every podcast I can find, trying to learn.

Cheers for the input