Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bobba

Thread: Backpack oponioms

Backpack oponioms

Kia ora koutou.

I have a 30 litre frameless pack which, while it has served me well, I want to replace soon. I hunt exclusively on daytrips, though I have ambitions, years away, to go on multi day hunts.
    I've looked at my options and I've narrowed my choices down to Hunters Element Summit packs, either the 65l or 85l.
    My instinct is to go 65 l. What I want from you fine people is your thoughts: is it worth forking out for the 85 and having it ony 2/3 full and strapping it closed tight for years until I go more hardcore, or is the 65l all I'd ever need?
    I'm certain I can make a call then come to my own conclusions, but I welcome the wisdom from wiser heads.

Chur.

30 litres is perfect for a day hunt.

My 30 l pack tends to disagree, though I acknowledge that might be due to its poor construction. You fellas reckon a 30 or 40 litre pack with a frame will be sufficient?

I run a 65L, but it’s a bit on the small side for multi day in the shoulder seasons. It does force you to be economic with your packing - when I used to run a bigger pack, I’d just chuck everything in and end up lugging a bunch of excess stuff around the hills. You’re a fool to head into the NZ bush under-equipped though, so unless your gear is very packable (mine is), I’d err on the side of bigger.

One piece of advice I’d give if you stick with the 65 is to get a pack-down daypack. Then if you shoot something, you can put all your clothes in it and wear it on your front to free up some space in your main pack.

If your day hunts are around the hutt Valley I'll assume your in the tararuas and rimutakas and it's mostly bush hunting? Personally carrying anything bigger than a 30/40l pack in the bush is just a pain in the ass.

Day hunts I only ever carry a pikau, with pouches, lunch, thermal top, jersey and maybe a jacket depending on forecast. Animal goes down all meat goes straight in bag, lunch gets eatin, pouches go around waist and any clothes go in plastic bag on top of meat or tied on somewhere.

I have 55l pack for overnighters, summer hunts and when I stay in huts. A 75l for multi day colder season missions. Pikau always comes to as I generally get to camp to dump gear and then head out from there.

If your not planning overnighters for a while I would wait and see what you adapt to. The more you hunt you'll soon learn what is really needed and what's not and develop personal preferences. You may have a chance to try out a mate's gear before diving into something that's not ideal.
    Steelo likes this.