Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By winaa

Thread: Barrel length measuring and discrepancies?

Barrel length measuring and discrepancies?

So am I a muppet or missing something? My understanding is barrel length is measured from muzzle to bolt face (obviously with action/bolt closed). Out of curiosity measured a few of my rifle barrels - Tikka T3 223 22" as expected from factory specs. Kimber Montana 308 19.5" (spec 22"), Ruger RPR Gen 2 308 18" (spec 20"), Bergara TD 308 (marked 16.5" on box) measured 14"!!!!!?
    Any explanations (these rifles are as from factory no gunsmithing/threading or recrowning).??
    Helps explain why the Bergara seems so handy LOL!
    Cheers, Charlie

Yup, and ‘usable’ length/length from throat would be even less than I measured...how many of the posts in the reloading thread are based on actual measured barrel length vs what the manufacturer stated��..??

This is something I have pondered on for many years. My Remington 541S has a 24" barrel, the 22LR cartridge max length is 1" so the barrel has 23 inches of rifling. Considering my 25-06 loaded rounds are just over 3" long my 24" barrel only has 21 inches of rifling. No wonder it barks like a dog!

I asked q how they measure barrels and its muzzle to bolt face
    So close the action and drop a cleaning rod down and measure

Barrel length is from the breech face to the muzzle. This is not the same a bullet travel which is always shorter because the bullet does not start its travel from the bolt face
    baronPolarbear likes this.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial

To clarify I measured by exactly that method. Rod down barrel to bolt face, measured from crown to bolt face. This is also the legal definition in for example USA where barrel length is legally regulated. So I’m astonished at what I’ve discovered. I’ll measure some more of my rifles, likely more surprises....Charlie

I do wonder if we get different models ment for export and recycled advertising from the us domestic market

I’ve always gone with overall length of the actual barrel as in if you were to unscrew the barrel from the action and measure the barrel from 1 end to the other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pre-64 Winnie 30-06 measures 21”, always thought it was 24”....again, a pristine untouched example..

The 'official' method is the measurement from the face of the standing breech to the muzzle. The effective length is the same length minus the length of the cartridge case. The actual length is usually about 3mm shorter than the 'official' length.