Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Stocky
  • 4 Post By southernman
  • 2 Post By whanahuia
  • 1 Post By whanahuia

Thread: Barret Feildcraft

Barret Feildcraft

Ive started to put aside a bit of money for a new rifle. This is the situation- Ive kind of always been a one rifle man. main rifle that is. I do own a few but I like to really get to know a rifle and shoot one really well. For 28 years that rifle has been a Brno 600 in 270 win/280ai. Now with a move to the south Island and approaching 50 years old, Im thinking I might get one more rifle to see me out, and i want it to be a goody. Im thinking lighter and easier to carry and something I can hunt anything in NZ with, as well as something I can take overseas with me if i wish too... and get ammo for... So before i decided on a brand, I decided it would likely be in 270, 7mm Rem mag, or 300 win mag. So far I kind of like the Barrel from what i see of it and that comes in .270.

So question is anyone use one and what do those out there know or have to say about them?

From my understanding they are just a Forbes 20/24b built by Barrett? I have a Forbes and have shot a few that mates have owned and all have been functional, accurate and extremely lightweight and best of all zero plastic! however if it's a silky smooth action you're after then you'd want to look elsewhere. Maybe the Barrett built units were a little more refined?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    From my understanding they are just a Forbes 20/24b built by Barrett? I have a Forbes and have shot a few that mates have owned and all have been functional, accurate and extremely lightweight and best of all zero plastic! however if it's a silky smooth action you're after then you'd want to look elsewhere. Maybe the Barrett built units were a little more refined?
    Few upgrades of the barret include a stainless action and better twist rates in some calibres. It's one of the few rifles I'd trade my kimber 7mm08 for if I could get one of the 7mm08s with the 1 in 8 twist rate and the 3 inch magazine. The one I handled in creedmoor stateside was nice but I'm not a snob with smoothness and unless it's terrible I think it's fine ( I should rattle kimbers hahahah).
    Shearer likes this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    @southernman has one. From I've read, they are a very smooth action with a few improvements over the Forbes. I seriously looked at getting one, but I just couldn't get past that blind mag thing. https://gunsnz.com/index.php?route=p...ath=68_263_268

If you can have a look at the Bergara Premier rifles, a wee bit heavier than a Forbes/Barett but IMO far superior balance and finish

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    @southernman has one. From I've read, they are a very smooth action with a few improvements over the Forbes. I seriously looked at getting one, but I just couldn't get past that blind mag thing. https://gunsnz.com/index.php?route=p...ath=68_263_268
    good wee speil in that link..... funny just how many rifles share MOST of those specs...the bolt is pure mid 80s winchester model70 no floorplate has been done many times before.
    great to see a decent recoil pad from new on a lightweight rifle... cant get past the price ticket all the same..thats a lot of extra coin for a little less weight.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I've got one in 6.5 Creedmoor 18" barrel, it's a hell of a nice rifle, far ahead of the Forbs, my Sako finnlights, Bariven and $4000 custom Kimber Assent, and it pains me to say it, but properly my Blaser k95, and Cooper 6x47. At least as a pure hunting rifle.
    These are Barretts own build, and complete independent of any other, real nice stock, action similar to a Defiance AITI
    I can't put a finger on what makes it so special, but it is a Brilliant balanced little hunting rifle, shoot everything I've put threw it well, I can almost match my cooper single shots (6x47Rem, 20 Vartarg)and Sako 6PPC target rifle, for groups with 130gr LRAB. 5 shots in 1/2 inch at 100, sometimes i can get 3 in one hole, but the last two of five seam to walk a bit.
    I've got a few deer and a Coyote, with it, use it as a walking rifle, in Tight cover, heavy scrub.
    It would be one of the last rifles i would sell, the action is very smooth and can be closed on a round, with complete silence, no clicks or noise.
    Blind mag, I don't really mind on a hunting rifle, but for sum, this is an Issue.
    My weight with a 2x7x33 Leopold, and Talley lightweights, is 6lbs even.
    Ive got it set up with, a 156gr Norma and 130gr LRAB hitting at the same point at 100m, and haven't fiddled anymore with it.
    Last edited by southernman; 19-09-2022 at 05:10 AM.

Cheers guys. Yeah the no floor plate issue is probably the last thing id take into consideration. It is nice to be able to load and unload from the floor but its a compromise with weight savings.
    Micky perhaps its the same similarities with the Bruno that make me like this rifle. Safety shape and position, bolt handle appearance, even the shroud and cocking indicator bear a resemblance.

Wasn’t the Fieldcraft discontinued a few years back?
    Just...say...the...word

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Yep, due to their need to concentrate on military firearms etc.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. With that in mind I changed my plans and put the one available in NZ in 270 on lay-by today. Thanks too the very helpful guy at gunsnz. Bit more of a rushed decision than expected but i have a feeling I wont regret it.
    Shearer and Mathias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by whanahuia View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. With that in mind I changed my plans and put the one available in NZ in 270 on lay-by today. Thanks too the very helpful guy at gunsnz. Bit more of a rushed decision than expected but i have a feeling I wont regret it.
    Buy the demo did you?

No, from what I saw that was in Creedmore and I really wanted .270. also he said he only had a 270 and 243 left, so presume the demo rifle was all ready gone.
    Stocky likes this.