Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 6 Post By 6x47
  • 1 Post By Cypri

Thread: Bench rest

Bench rest

Hi
    Does anyone use a bench rest for sighting in their rifles

MSL

Bench rest

I have used one that I set in the ground on the farm, though I don’t use it at all these days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MSL; 29-10-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Caretaker
    Use whatever system you hunt with

Often a fixed Harris (1A2 model) is the best all round hunting setup that suits most people.
    BSA270 likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

IF I had acess to one..yes would use it to ZERO rifle...but not heck of a lot of use to me after that....
    shoot as you would in field and expect same POI...... benchrest/leadsled/etc etc etc all good in thier place.
    I have been known to use a bipod too now,but still firmly hold forend .....much prefer decent daypack. only bought bipod as shooting heavy rifle in long grass made it logical...
    BSA270 likes this.

I use all kind of pillows n blankets but never seam to hold it poi,in the same place twice , would a bench rest do this ?

Absolutely, a benchrest will take (lack of) steadiness out of the equation. A rolled up jacket over the bonnet doesn't cut it..
    mickey, zimmer, Woody and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypri View Post
    I use all kind of pillows n blankets but never seam to hold it poi,in the same place twice , would a bench rest do this ?
    yes it lowers the human factor.......you possibly arent holding forend firm enough if you getting major differences using other ways.....
    once you get consistant hold you will get consistant POI........and BEFORE someone flames me......if you have CONSISTANT loose hold,eg hug yourself over bipod,you will have consistant POI too....with heavy rifle with low recoil you can get away with allsorts. lighter rifle....not so much.

Bench rest,sand bag or cushion,rifle on top.Takes the bounce out of the front of yr rifle.

Thanks for that , just brought one ,
    Trout likes this.

A bench rest ensures you get better accuracy out of your firearm for sighting in, but you may find the POI (point of inmpact) changes out in the field when you rest it on a daypack or hold it free of any rests. It pays to experiment.

Yes. Sure do. Zero the rifle over sand bags or the old bench rest and afterwards I check if its the same of off bipods, tripods or daypacks(which it generally is.)

Great thanks for the advice