Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Tahr
  • 3 Post By mudgripz
  • 3 Post By SiB
  • 1 Post By Ingrid 51

Thread: Best all round 223?

Best all round 223?

Ok, it's a stupid point to make but when I got my reloading press I got 223 dies with it. Not owned one before, but interested in getting a 223 because of it's popularity plus they use small pistol primers, something I have more often than large rifle.

There are many choices, not really sure what the sweet spot is with the 223 so thought to ask for your views? I like the X-Bolt with 10 round mag, know little about Tikka or Howa. The you've got your Mossbergs, your Rugers and with deep enough pockets Sabatti.

Ideally I'm interested in shooting 300+ and have seen 223 hit steel at 1,000m. 5+ rounds would be preferable, 10 being optimal.

Any suggestions welcome.

You probably would want one with a 1-8 twist so you can use heavier bullet which would be better at longer ranges, Tikka do a 1-8 and Howa, Browning etc. I have a Mod 7 Rem with the slower twist but with 55 gr bullets it shoots well at 300 yards which I think is far enough with a 223. Anything further I prefer something that hits harder.

Mini Howa. Larger capacity mag and 1-8 twist. Accurate and good value.
    .223 use small rifle primers, not small pistol like you said.
    25 /08 IMP and bumblefoot like this.

What Tahr said small pistol primers are too soft to withstand rifle pressures

New to 223 myself and after some deliberation I bought a Howa 1500. Proving a good choice. Sound engineering, adjustable trigger, excellent accuracy. In our team there are four 223s - Savage, Tikka, Howa and Zastava - and all of them shoot sub half inch at 100m with preferred ammos - most with factory rounds. This is excellent accuracy and 3 of the 4 are inexpensive rifles.

Your choice depends exactly on what you'll do with the rifle. If its predominantly a hunter/worker, then any of the above (add Marlin XS7 to them) will perform very well - at a good price. If your rifle won't spend too much time on the hills or in the truck, on the quad, then you can spend more and buy the nice walnut stock etc. May not be more accurate but may certainly look good.

Just decide on best twist rate for the job your 223 will do most often. For our medium range (0-250) fallow/wallabies/bunnies we have a mixture of 1:8s and 1:12s in our team and all perform.

Although our boys shooting very big numbers it is significant there are no detachable mag rifles. A useful feature in the field but not essential. But .. if detachable mags are a preference, Ruger Ranch and Howa mini will be well worth looking at.
    woods223, mimms2 and caberslash like this.

SiB
    Ruger ranch uses AICS mags, and even with el cheapo 55gr ammo I can bowl bunnies @200m with my thermal scope mounted. Reliable and inexpensive rifle to run. Perfect for nightime bunny shoots.

I also run a Tikka 1:8. Vortex scope. With handloads (63gr pills from memory, I don’t load them), I can clover leaf at 200m and confidently hit wallaby at 300m. The rifle is better than me it must be said, I’m sure a better shooter would expect more. A good set up for hot days and longer range shots.

My point being that each rifle has its purpose and strength. I’ve matched them to optics that not your $200 S/h leupy- so consider optics and end use also.

Recommend you seriously consider a “trigger stick”. Brilliant. Just brilliant. I don’t use bipods any more when walking
    gadgetman, Waldo Peens and mimms2 like this.

My sons and I all have Howa 1:8 twist and vortex glass. I’m happy shooting paper out to 300m, but the eldest son has gonged his out to about 800m from memory. We like 62 gr and 77 gr Belmont, having stocked up before supply became an issue. At 100m my aged eyes see well enough to create one ragged hole. Neighbour has a Tikka of the same cal and swears by it.
    Feral likes this.

Son has a Steyr Pro hunter 223, has the set trigger, 3 position safety, Steyr rotary mag. Only possible down side is that this one has a heavier barrel than some. This does make it a delight to shoot and so very stable. However it would not be my first pick as a carry rifle for a multi day trip. I would call it more a day hunt rifle. 1:9 twist which handles out to 70 gr bullets and possibly up to say 77 gr in some.

I like it and my other son also likes shooting it. He says it's like a laser out to about 300 mtr anyway.
    Z

MAUSER M18 for a hunting rifle.
    These have a good reputation out of the box, a very fine shooter.
    KH
    The Voice of Reason, Come let us Reason together...

What is best?

For me, how a rifle balances/handles is everything since you will be carrying a hunting rifle more than you shoot it. Also, getting it into position quickly helps a lot.

For me, it's a toss up between the Sako L461/A1 or Rem Model 7. Both of mine handle very well, although the Rem has a special edition McMillan KS stock which helps a lot.

My Sako will hold 6+1 .223 rounds whereas the Rem (which is a 7mm08) would probably hold the same if converted. Mag capacity for the Rem will depend on the stock shape.

Howa mini would be a good shout if a single stage trigger, nice stocks were readily available and the shitty excuse for a magwell was rectified. I know there is an aftermarket solution for these issues but fixing them will cost more than what the action is worth!