Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: Best bang for buck 222/223 action

Best bang for buck 222/223 action

Just thinking ( no money and dont really need one, although I would like one), what are the nicest little affordable 222/223 actions out there?
    Not single shots
    That 700 dollar Sako the other day would've been primo probably.
    I see a lot that prefer certain Howa's over others due to differing magazine orientations/sizes (I think).
    Doesnt have to have a detachable magazine if that makes it nicer although I dont mind one either.
    Let the fun begin

Howa mini is hard to beat for value.
    * 10 round detachable mag
    * versatile 1:8 twist
    * decent factory trigger
    * factory threaded
    not gonna argue there are definitely nicer 223's depending what your need is but as an accurate work horse they are well proven
    #DANNYCENT

Can't really beat the howa mini at the minute

I would have to agree Howa mini from new but if you could find a zastava that would be my pick.

I have a Howa 1500 223, its a great rifle. Accurate, can take a bit of jostling on the quad. I forget what I paid for it, but it wasn't much comparatively.

If I was to do it again, I'd go for the Mini instead of the 1500. I was worried about the magazine catching on things, but I think I'd rather have the removable mag than the releasable base plate of the 1500.
    dannyb and CBH Australia like this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Just thinking ( no money and dont really need one, although I would like one), what are the nicest little affordable 222/223 actions out there?
    Not single shots
    That 700 dollar Sako the other day would've been primo probably.
    I see a lot that prefer certain Howa's over others due to differing magazine orientations/sizes (I think).
    Doesnt have to have a detachable magazine if that makes it nicer although I dont mind one either.
    Let the fun begin
    you sir need a boot in the bum.One .223 is available to you ..end of story.even its big bro the 7.62x39 is willing to tag along if you desire Happy to sign their holiday leave chits!!comes under the good buggers scheme!!

+1 for Howa - Have 223 and 308...

I've had a zastava, a sako AI and now have a howa mini. Of those I much prefer the Howa.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Would say it's better to get a 'short action' Howa 1500 or Rem Model 7 if you want to shoot long, heavy .224 pills. Although you'll probably need to stick a faster twist barrel on too.

Sako Vixen still the nicest mini action made, small internal magazine but at that time long heavy pills didn't exist. Nice floorplate (all steel) and they take a rear aperture peep sight as well.

However, you guys seem to get Howa's ridiculously cheap so the Mini or 1500 is a no brainer. The lightweight version of the 1500 action is choice, try and find an Alpine stock.
    Barry the hunter likes this.

There a little bit harder to find nowadays but like the cz 527, especially the ebony edition which has an almost flush magazine.

For a good reliable workhorse that tops the value for money stakes the Howa mini would be my pick. There's also plenty of aftermarket support if you want to upgrade it.

Should say I like the cz 527

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    you sir need a boot in the bum.One .223 is available to you ..end of story.even its big bro the 7.62x39 is willing to tag along if you desire Happy to sign their holiday leave chits!!comes under the good buggers scheme!!
    @kotuku dont worry it's more window shopping.
    Always nice to get some real world opinions

Another vote for CZs, they are a lot slimmer and better proportioned than the Howas. For years I wouldnt have one due to the protuding mag but I dont mind it now I've carried it a bit.

The BSA's are a nice small action too, a bit heavier than some but worth considering!

best bang for buck...the one you have got...end of day it wont matter in ten years time..... I still love my wee zastava,even in its crude stock. should really put it back in its hardwood one AGAIN...but the novelty of it being so light hasnt worn off yet.
    the wee winchester model 70s are lovely
    used an old paddlestock ruger and it was great too.
    used a norinco and it was good too.
    the zastava works well as long as I dont baby it.... accurate as heck and isnt fussy what it fed.
    caberslash likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

@Micky Duck already got a short a ton circa 1990 M70 lightweight 243. From the very few older 222s I've had in my hands, they have been lighter than that.
    Also as a side story, a workmate now deceased, back in the early 90s had a Sako 243 and put it on a diet.
    He lightened the stock and turned the barrel profile down.
    May have shortened it but cant remember.
    Made a huge difference to it.
    Was the sort of rifle that should've been light but wasnt 7ntil the mods.