Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Best Feeding Cartridges

Best Feeding Cartridges

What is your experience of how well cartridges feed and which is the slickest ?

I have this idea that traditional cases like the .223, .3006, .375 H&H and 7.62x39 might have been engineered for trouble free reliable action, while those with compact powder columns like the PPC and Creedmore were designed for just single shot accuracy. Then, those set up to yield maximum power from a short action (every improvd, blown out and WSM chambering) have compromised and might give trouble. But maybe I'm wrong ...

I'll make a start and say my 303 would jam due to rims stepping over each other in the magazine, while the 7mm08 is pretty good.

There’s a reason the 375 H&H is so successful.
    john m likes this.

30-06 feed well in a Win Model 70

.270 winchester in my old Sako 85.

It would chamber a round if u held the muzzle down and let go of the bolt.

Pretty damn slick.

300 H and H magnum

Mostly its down to proper follower design (there is a "Mauser" formular) with the possible exception of the so called "alpha" type cartridges like the WSSM's etc. There is a great thread about it on Accurate Reloading forum by Duane Weibe (one of the finest contemporary custom gunmakers)
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Mostly its down to proper follower design (there is a "Mauser" formular) with the possible exception of the so called "alpha" type cartridges like the WSSM's etc. There is a great thread about it on Accurate Reloading forum by Duane Weibe (one of the finest contemporary custom gunmakers)
    What you say.
    Follower and magazine dimensions especially width. Peter Paul Mauser had it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    What is your experience of how well cartridges feed and which is the slickest ?

I have this idea that traditional cases like the .223, .3006, .375 H&H and 7.62x39 might have been engineered for trouble free reliable action, while those with compact powder columns like the PPC and Creedmore were designed for just single shot accuracy. Then, those set up to yield maximum power from a short action (every improvd, blown out and WSM chambering) have compromised and might give trouble. But maybe I'm wrong ...

I'll make a start and say my 303 would jam due to rims stepping over each other in the magazine, while the 7mm08 is pretty good.
    If your .303 is LE then there is a right way to load a 5 round clip before putting it in the magazine...or so we were told and shown as school cadets many long years ago.
    WallyR likes this.

long, slightly tapered, rounds, feed smother, than parallel , steep/sharp shouldered, brass,

300 H&H, 7x57and 6.5x54 MS, are the ones I own, that are smooth loading, quality of the action, and smoothness of action, play a large part.

300 H&H has a well deserved reputation for smooth feeding.

No bolt action, will feed as smooth as a SXS rifle.
    WallyR likes this.

Banned
    I have had problems with rifles not feeding, but I don't put up with it. As has been said above follower problems are the most likely cause. These can be experimented with by cutting strips of plastic like icecream container lids for example to fit the follower and gluing one on to see if it helps. Once the cure is found the plastic can be replaced with metal or better still, a strip of slippery wear resistant nylon. Another problem can be the lead into the chamber, that can be opened with a rotary file. Problems there cause rounds to ping up and miss the hole. Most likely a problem when putting a fat case into a standard action. The other problem I have had to fix is the follower binding on the sides of the mag box

Quote Originally Posted by Tribrit View Post
    .270 winchester in my old Sako 85.

It would chamber a round if u held the muzzle down and let go of the bolt.

Pretty damn slick.
    Different story on the way back out though...
    Allizdog likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Different story on the way back out though...
    Mine only did the notorious Sako extractor problem with one type of ammo.
    Bought some Winchester Deer Season for whitetail and fallow, wouldn't extract at all.

Military cartridges designed for semi and full auto applications normally feed well e.g. .223, .308 (to be expected, one of the key design requirements)
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62 View Post
    Military cartridges designed for semi and full auto applications normally feed well e.g. .223, .308 (to be expected, one of the key design requirements)
    Agree, oh and the humble .22LR , 2 billion rounds consumed in the USA last year I read somewhere, then we have the rest of the worlds use.......... the USA produce around 10 billion rounds per year of which a large percentage is the humble .22lr
    So yeah they feed well , being around since 1884 and commercially going stronger than ever, entire rifle / platform built around the .22LR from the ground up.

well I had a feed of pork tonight...last animal I shot with the wee x39 before she went off to her new home.
    fed the wife n I red fawn the other night shot with the .308
    had pork mince from boar shot with the .223
    venison steak last week....stag shot with .270
    duck feeds me and the kids eat ducks n geese shot with .12ga or even the humble .410
    plenty heaps of feeds have graced our table provided by the .22lr

so I guess all the above "feed" me well.
    viper and Synthetic like this.