Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Best hold for ultralight rifle

This is an interesting thread , and I’ll add my uneducated two cents to it .
    I believe that the rear of the rifle steers and effects it more than the front.
    As long as the front rest is good and secure/firm then the rear support/rest is where your attention should be .
    Bipods and loading them up is an interesting one , what your doing is getting repeatable shoulder pressure on the stock which is desirable.
    With practice you can achieve repeatable shoulder pressure using your trigger hand to pull the stock into your shoulder.
    I’ve only recently gone down the muzzle brake path ( Australia’s silly no suppressor laws have dictated that , my NZ rifle wears a DPT can ) .
    I like the recoil reductions of a brake but man it’s loud , I’m still trying to find workable realistic hunting ear protection solution to that problem .
    I don’t really know what I’m talking about , but I steer the rifle from the rear and don’t hold the forend if I can help it .
    Tikka7mm08 and dannyb like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

Noticed on the Dulys hunting show. There pre program visuals show one of the guys shooting with no apparent forehand hold. Except for bi-pod.
    The rifle jumps quite a bit at the shot up and a bit sideways. Entering into scope eyebrow contact on a big caliber?

Quote Originally Posted by ghosts View Post
    Noticed on the Dulys hunting show. There pre program visuals show one of the guys shooting with no apparent forehand hold. Except for bi-pod.
    The rifle jumps quite a bit at the shot up and a bit sideways. Entering into scope eyebrow contact on a big caliber?
    I shoot my braked 270wsm just like that, never been an issue I load up the bipod and keep a firm grip on the palm swell, never come close to being scoped yet and shoots extremely accurate and consistent.
    7mmsaum likes this.

I wrap my front arm with the sling most shots
    Nothing fancy about my hold but I mostly shoot offhand or off my knees sitting
    My montanas are all suppressed and it helps settle them right down and reduces recoil and makes them less jumpy
    Mine are 243, 300blk so are pussycats to shoot suppressed recoil wise which makes shooting them well easy
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    @Tikka7mm08

Nice Ninety.

Tikka7mm08 likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

You can’t beat the physics!
    Name:  102E5229-BB69-40E2-B172-E8BB6B4A3F33.jpeg
Views: 306
Size:  1.04 MB
    Ackley and Huntfisheat like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

I had been shooting dozens of rabbits with 17 Ackley Hornet and became very lazy with how I held the rifle. Because of nearly zero recoil was having minimal misses
    Then started shooting Sambar deer for pet food with a light tikka 308, head shots required, and had a few over the top misses. Problem was solved when I disciplined myself to hold the rifle a lot firmer with a good solid grip of the fore end. Seems the recoil was causing shots to fly just high or clip the top of the head
    Took a young bloke with a very light rifle out a few time and he was have the same problem, as he was used to a heavy barrel 223, taught him to hold the rifle tighter and problem solved
    takbok likes this.

I had a 7mmRM HSP I had zero'd at 100 yards...tack driver. Took it on a 1000y course with a Harris bipod and crossarm hold and found this changed the rifle to a 200y zero. Adjusted drop shot and the trainer called me in for a 4.5" 1000y group. How you shoot on the bench has to match how you shoot off it.
    chainsaw likes this.

When I first shot my Tikka super light 7 rm it was also first time using a bipod , so as I'd seen in several videos I used the cross arm style. I had a lot of trouble controlling muzzle jump, Jesus it jumped all over the place. I tried holding the forend with my left hand and found it much better and have done so ever since.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    It’s about consistency - if it behaves the same way each shot, then the shot will go the same place - recoil management wether by hand, free or hydraulics needs to be managed - its where it varies from position to position that you will have the variations - lighter Calibres and heavy rifles also ‘manage’ the recoil by weight, as do suppressors by weight and gas management etc

I’ve watched NZ Hunter - only can wish could tramp like they do - but also watched their rifle bounce a lot - slow mo is interesting, will try to record mine next time i shoot

I've battled back and forwards with bipods and have a spartan I'm going to perserve with as an option, otherwise harris.
    One thing is with bipods I would'nt compare shooting off a bench. Get down on ground, dig legs in a bit and load it slightly. I like the caps off the legs, spikes.
    Hand ontop of scope is ok technique. Put plenty down range, and when sight is coming back onto target after recoil I reckon technique is sound, whatever technique you use. If skewing off under recoil and not back to target technique and accuracy will be poor.
    Skinny barrels not that good for plenty of range practice though.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Another thing to note that a lot of people don't think about is the rear sling swivel stud catching on the rear bag. This can/does contribute to muzzle jump and the odd unexplained flyer.
    I always used to remove mine when group shooting or sighting in. But I have since changed to flush cups so is now a non issue.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial