Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum

Thread: Best of the new breed 22 rifles

Best of the new breed 22 rifles

Not after one just wondering.
    There are a few new bolt action 22s out in the last year or so.
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on them
    Bergara (both models) maybe thoughts on both?
    Howa 1100
    Lithgow 101
    All have different ergonomics etc but really only looking at the basic type models with maybe a heavy barrel thrown in.

Caretaker
    Tikka T1X
    Fssprecision likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Not after one just wondering.
    There are a few new bolt action 22s out in the last year or so.
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on them
    Bergara (both models) maybe thoughts on both?
    Howa 1100
    Lithgow 101
    All have different ergonomics etc but really only looking at the basic type models with maybe a heavy barrel thrown in.
    +10 for the Lithgow. Can’t beat it hands down. Superbly made and highly accurate. The stick design also allows it to be used as a multi purpose platform. Only downside is that the trigger is very heavy but this is resolved with a swap out of the spring ($20 via Aussie).
    It’s a mystery why the importer doesn’t sell them with the lighter spring. Included in the kit.

40 degree bolt lift, takes cz mags (5 rounders are flush) and has lovely cerakote finish.

Also done in left hand action which is why I went with one….. if only Lithgow did their centrefire in a southpaw calibre!!

A bit depends on what you want from it.

In the accuracy department my Lithgow LA101 has proved itself with five consecutive groups of 50 rounds at 50M - average group .293-interestingly in that competition no Tikka's made the leader board,and the Lithgow was beaten only by an Annie. The other day at the range a very good shooter was getting a CZ Varmint going and it was shooting extremely well at 100M, at least as good as the LA101 will do, probably/maybe better! I did get to shoot @Waynesworld Krico 330s and it was truly awesome,at least as good as a tuned 54 match rifle (but they are as rare as hens teeth).

The Lithgow is however a "man"size rifle, its no lightweight which gives it a better balance than several of the opposition. It does have one disconcerting habit, with the bolt withdrawn to the rear, the bolt handle can be turned - does no harm and is rectified in a millisecond, but spoils ya day the first time it happens (ask me how I know - yep in a competition!).

Good stuff peoples. The savage 17wsm I think can be guilty of the same bolt thing as the lithgow.
    The big bergara is built on a 700 clone footprint so that's a big rifle too.
    Seen the small bergara at humping and fisting today and they are a pretty wee rifle

Depends on what you want to use the rifle for - some will be more at home on range and some much better for field. Weight, balance, setup.

Good shooting Tent at .293 for consecutive groups with Lithgow. That's exactly what I got with consecutive groups from a Marlin model 60 hunting rifle a while back - superbly accurate.

If I was after a good range shooter these days I'd also be looking at the Lithgow. Seem to be consistently accurate.

I will be fair, I would probably get one in 22wmr.