Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Best way to clean .22 silencer

Quote Originally Posted by rookiesniper View Post
    I have a Dan hardy closed unit on my .308 and it has a plastic bush and cap on the stock end not sure if petrol would be good for the plastic ay?
    The bush will screw out.
    Dan will say don't bother cleaning cans, after 25000 rounds throw the fuker away
    rookiesniper likes this.

Sweet I'll never need to buy another and never have to clean it
    BRADS likes this.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

@kotuku uses petrol to clean his if I remember correctly.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    @kotuku uses petrol to clean his if I remember correctly.
    At least if you can't shoot em you can napalm em :thumbup:
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    The bush will screw out.
    Dan will say don't bother cleaning cans, after 25000 rounds throw the fuker away
    Sweet won't bother cleaning it then haha its only had maybe 50 rounds through it,

haha for the first hundred or so your just burning the grease out of them

Not quite gadget.Its my paulus manders.22 unit that i slosh out with a soak in petrol annualy.Its all metal(25yrs old)and easily disassembled so its no hard task. Ive a GC unit on the .303/7.62x39(shared). ,but its had SFA through it anyhow.On reflection each rifle has a custom plastic rear bush so dont see why athe thing minus bushing would survive a soak in ptroland blowthrough with compressed air.actually must talk to you shortly about some subsonic reloads for it.POP-bugger me that bloody goose fell over ,well i never ,how inconvenient for the family.POP-oops his bro has just gone out in sympathy................
    good news for 2014-1st outing on ferals yesterday and we nailed two prime young bastrds.processed em today -plumpinkbreastmeat and big plumplegs.yummyyummy!

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by subs View Post
    How and how often should you clean your "sealed unit" silencer.
    Mine is stainless and was told it wouldn't need cleaned.
    Doesn't sound right to me, especially after the one I seen today.
    Some know I'm a cleaning nazi so this post won't surprise you. You should really clean it out after every use. At least take it off as there is a whole lot of damage that can be caused by the residue being left on the barrel, especially as most people store their rifles muzzle up. Aluminium particularly corrodes easily. Use a powder solvent and leave to soak then brush parts clean. Once dried, apply Vaseline and reassemble.
    Specifically you ask about cleaning a sealed unit so I assume it's stainless steel and maybe painted. I use meths in a glass jar on my sealed HMR can as it does help break up the residue and of course dries well. I've made some funny looking wire brushes in an attempt to clean some of the internal baffles but it's pretty hard. After soaking it and having a poke around it, I just leave it on the bench to dry completely and then a few days later I give it a bash in the bench to see if I can knock some more crap out it. Lastly a grease threads and store it (never on the rifle).
    Make sure you always clean the crown of your barrel as that is usually black as. If you have a over barrel or semi over barrel suppressor, make sure you Vaseline the barrel too as it makes cleaning a dream next time.
    I'm happy to be corrected & always open to better ideas. Keep safe in the hills.