Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Best ways to save loose weight?

To save weight i wouldn't be looking at a 30 mm loopie scope.

There would be a good place to start in the weight loss programme.
    Im not offering an alternitive just a place to start looking

Deep pockets are required if you want to continue down this path, ie carbon stock, flute everything and light weight replacements...

Im in the process of upgrading quite alot of gear to lighter stuff, got a new tent on the way and just bought a light weight cooker as well. My pack doesn't way alot for a fly camping trip anyway maybe maybe 13kg max for an over nighter (including fresh food and a bottle of water) and maybe 17kg max for a week (i could easily lighten this up more to). Take basically the same stuff for a week as i do overnight just take a few extra kgs of food.

I agree with the weight side of things on the scope but have done some research. There are not many options in scopes that cover both the high and low ends of the magnification while still being able to dial, the 6500 2.5-16 was another option but the weight is similar to the loopy. I figured that i wanted decent glass without going overboard and this scope is pretty much perfect for my style of hunting (apart from the weight). The loopy apparently weighs in at 496g vs my current bushnell at 408g.
    Last edited by Nick.m; 26-05-2013 at 09:35 PM.

You might be surprised what Gunworks can do to lighten your rifle...last time I was in I spotted a Remmy that had been put on a SERIOUS diet!
    Action had been milled of metal from some areas and front portion only of the barrel under full length suppressor had been turned down to a very small profile...I don't know what it weighed but it was without a doubt, the lightest fully suppressed bolt action I have held!

Not having a suppressor or bipod helps alot with weight.

I try to put myself on a weight loss scheme before my rifle, iv got possibly 5-10 kg of condition i could drop well more than the total weight of my rifle.

Lightweight is the only way to go for a hunting rifle. Once you use on you'll never want to carry anything else.

Weight savings are made by a little here, a little there..its the sum of all parts that determines the total weight. I use PTG parts like trigger guards, firing pins, bolts etc.. then flute everything i can. Finally carbon fibre and lightweight scope choices .

Bang for buck a carbon stock and barrel fluting is money well spent, other items don't save much more but imo are still worth doing as they add up to about the weight of a bipod.

Kj
    Nick.m likes this.

Ejected
    I tend to save it by turning it into fat, then it's always there for later.

Do you start out with a realistic goal?
    Or venture blindly till you ended up with what?
    Thin barrel is the best way I've found to save weight, real thin then flute and shorten.
    Carbon stocks are awesome and light. Talley rings are the same,

Write a shopping list, cost it out see what you can afford, then make the best choice you can with your budget,
    Nick.m and kimjon like this.

Do you order in the parts from this site kimjon Pacific Tool & Gauge, Inc. - New Products ??? Any problems getting them into the country?

I have a carbon stock on the way, its going to be a slow process but i cant wait to see the result.

Dan
    Ha I hunt with a 308 AR with a pretty heavy barrel, PEPR mount, bipod, suppressor, and 7rds in the mag, and it has to be the most awkward thing to carry ever, my arms are usually in a lot more pain than my legs after a good walk in the Tararuas haha... Perhaps I should explore weight saving measures too, but I have a suspicion that it'll never be a light rifle

Now there a discussion on when to shit to save weight, if you shit to soon you run the risk of not getting all the energy out of it, to late you carry that extra rate. Of course a good red hot arse afterwards will make you move faster

I had a Rem 700 mountain rifle in 7x64 a few years ago and still regret selling it. They are as light a you can get them. A carbon stock will save a bit, but I would leave it dor the rest. What will you gai? A few ounces and loose a lot of money. A T3 lite might be a bit lighter, but how much?

spinning some meat off a t3 barrel would gain you a bit, they are a much larger barrel than my 601 brno

gunworks done a t3 LIGHTER that they had fluited both the barrel and bolt that was a fair price,

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Have you seen this thread?
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...g-rifles-1590/

My Model 7 in there is a little over 6lb scoped and supressed, but a shorter action, barrel etc.

My M700 (also in the same thread) is 8.15lb scoped (25oz scope) with a 26" #3 fluted barrel, so your aim is certainly achievable, but at a bit of a cost...
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Tikka T3 lite 6.5x55 rifle, fluted barrel & bolt | Trade Me

good info in there about the t3 liter package gunworks made a few months back.

110grams off the barrel, and 30 grams off the bolt.

finish weight of rifle and rings 6 pounds+ 10 grams

$299 to flute the barrel ($2.72 per gram lighter)
    $138 to flute bolt ($4.60 per gram lighter)

$437 for 140 grams.

Put serious thaught to the scope that you choose. as it will soak that 140 grams up really qucikly if you choose poorly