Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Bipods...tell me about them...

No one ever mentions Harris anymore
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

If you it's just for shooting off a bench then get a Harris or Harris clone, make sure it's the notched leg version.

No point forking out a bunch of money for a flash bipod if you aren't going to use the features.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Geez - now all the fashionistas have spoken . . . A Harris at 1/3 or less the costs of the options will do the job. If you must use a pic rail an alli express adapter can be obtained.

Even if you do want to use it in the future for more advanced goals the Harris is still viable, both my 600y F class "possibles" were shot using a Harris, and from the bench, the group sizes I can achieve with the Harris versus the heavy tripod rest are practically indistinguishable. Some people grumble about a "twang" from the Harris design but it's never bothered me.
    Yeah, it'd be silly to further develop and improve on existing products...
    Grey Kiwi, quentin and kukuwai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotsoup View Post
    Yeah, it'd be silly to further develop and improve on existing products...
    Not to mention the weight reduction.

The difference between having a metal bipod on the forend of the stock compared to a light weight carbon one cannot be overstated in an actual hunting situation.

Especially when not shooting prone

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    hotsoup likes this.
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

I'm a cheapskate, I thing mine cost around 37 bucks, solid. All helps when it goes on the magnum. Awesome on the 22 hornet on top of the cab when slinging from the back of the Ute.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Geez - now all the fashionistas have spoken . . . A Harris at 1/3 or less the costs of the options will do the job. If you must use a pic rail an alli express adapter can be obtained.

Even if you do want to use it in the future for more advanced goals the Harris is still viable, both my 600y F class "possibles" were shot using a Harris, and from the bench, the group sizes I can achieve with the Harris versus the heavy tripod rest are practically indistinguishable. Some people grumble about a "twang" from the Harris design but it's never bothered me.
    Not many moving targets when shooting off a bench, hence no requirement for a bipod to pan side to side. I broke my harris trying to stay on an animal without lifting my rifle to reset the bipod. Atlas bipod fixed that up, but had an annoying habit of loosening up when panning. Hence going to the MDT bipod. Lives in the side of the pack, so the weight is not on the rifle until it's required.

I used the harris for over 10 years, and it worked. Shooting off a pack worked before that. It's not until you try something better that you really see the shortcomings of what you used to use.
    hotsoup likes this.

What about a Magpul one friend uses one and its quite light and not expensive Link
    Happy Jack.

I got the MTN (mountain version) before the roar this year and love it. Weighs nothing, super versatile (very long legs and very adjustable angles between them) and clips on / off using the picatinny rail.

Depends what your goals / requirements are.

I wanted something light as I almost exclusively backpack hunt and I wanted it to be detachable easily for pushing through scrub and tight crap.

cheers
    hotsoup, kukuwai and MTNGear like this.

+1 for the MTN bipod. So light and not bulky.
    hotsoup and MTNGear like this.

Another fan of MTN, so light and adjustable. Also run a MDT Ckye-pod on my target rifle or on the .22 around the farm, it's essentially the same as MTN, but heavy duty and notched legs.
    For any trip with much walking, the MTN slots onto the rifle and its barely noticable when it's in hand, easy to pull off when going through thicker stuff
    hotsoup and MTNGear like this.

Any questions about our bipods feel free to flick me an email matt@mtngear.nz

Cheers, Matt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sjI3H8h7Kw

https://www.mtngear.nz/products/mountain-bipod

I have been using a harris knock off for zeroing and long range. It works well enough. If I was going to hunt with a bipod I would use the QD type. I just cant think of a time a bipod would be useful although I did monopod of a 30rd magazine back in the good old days. Generally I prefer to shoot of a pack or use a sling.
    Hit the hills, live the BushLife!

https://bushlifenz.com