Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Bolt hard/stiff/gritty to lift after firing

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Yeah the primers do look a bit flat, doesn't look like any camming on the base though.
    A better pic would help
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Close, grab a case out of the box, one that looks like it has a shinny stamp on the edge or a primer strike with raised edges of the crater, then get a close up of that, end on to camera
    maybe that second from bottom on right

Some of those primers look quite flat too
    Will do.

Primer looks quite flat, the photo of the case on the last page shows the chambered portion appears to be roughened compared to the web but the photos a bit blurry. I assume both a fired case and full length resized case chamber and extract easily after the action has been eased(firing pin gone forward). If not some engineers blue on a case might be the ticket.
    You say its a 98 action, it may help to know exactly what the rifle ismilitary action rebarrelled or something else also how it grouped with the ammunition.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Primer looks quite flat, the photo of the case on the last page shows the chambered portion appears to be roughened compared to the web but the photos a bit blurry. I assume both a fired case and full length resized case chamber and extract easily after the action has been eased(firing pin gone forward). If not some engineers blue on a case might be the ticket.
    You say its a 98 action, it may help to know exactly what the rifle ismilitary action rebarrelled or something else also how it grouped with the ammunition.
    It's an Allie capture k98k re barreled in either Czech Republic or Belgium. Don't know where it was made as the scope mount has covered up the code.

It grouped fairly good for me shooting it for the first time. We didn't end up have enough time to get the zero bang on at 100 metres I think but a group of 5 shots was not much more than an inch across.

So you recommend pushing the shoulder down a bit with a die or using a bit of lube on the case before firing?

I tried a fired case but it ended up damaging the neck. Not keen to try a live case even with the firing pin not cocked.

DO NOT lube before fireing. it will let case slop around too much.
    how would you damage neck?????
    if action is controlled feed slip case in under extractor manually before chambering....not too hard to work out......or if all other brass is ok just ditch the S&B.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    It's an Allie capture k98k re barreled in either Czech Republic or Belgium. Don't know where it was made as the scope mount has covered up the code.

It grouped fairly good for me shooting it for the first time. We didn't end up have enough time to get the zero bang on at 100 metres I think but a group of 5 shots was not much more than an inch across.

So you recommend pushing the shoulder down a bit with a die or using a bit of lube on the case before firing?

I tried a fired case but it ended up damaging the neck. Not keen to try a live case even with the firing pin not cocked.
    Sounds a bit like TR's new rig. There was a tag in the neck area of the chamber. Got the chamber cleaned up and polished. Now fired cases will feed back in.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    DO NOT lube before fireing. it will let case slop around too much.
    how would you damage neck?????
    if action is controlled feed slip case in under extractor manually before chambering....not too hard to work out......or if all other brass is ok just ditch the S&B.
    Probably moved the bolt too quickly or with too much force.

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    Sounds a bit like TR's new rig. There was a tag in the neck area of the chamber. Got the chamber cleaned up and polished. Now fired cases will feed back in.
    I haven't found a gun smith in auckland so I will probably send it off to someone in Hamilton. How much did your clean up and polish cost if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    I haven't found a gun smith in auckland so I will probably send it off to someone in Hamilton. How much did your clean up and polish cost if you don't mind me asking?
    A whole $38.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!