Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: Bring A Cat Semi Automatics Back to Trade Me

GunStuff.co.nz is your other option I see someone purchased the HK Mk23 I was considering

Fuck Trademe and Fuck Hunting and Fishing

Yep fuck trademe. Deleted my account after seeing some idiot propaganda on their message board and pointing out the parallels between stalin, Hitler and the fascist ideals

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    The gunbrokernz.co.nz site has only been launched in this last week.

However they have a five shot SKS for sale, what’s with that??

Quote Originally Posted by Finnwolf View Post
    However they have a five shot SKS for sale, what’s with that??
    Why don't you buy it and find out...haha.

I'm guessing that's a listing that Crafty's forgot to take down, although it would be awesome if they were actually still selling SKSs.
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

To all the people hating on Trade Me, I get it. Their politics are bullshit and I agree with you completely.
    I would encourage people to use alternatives such as gunstuff, gunbrokernz, allgoods, etc.

However, I don't think it's wise(or even possible) to just cast TM aside entirely and use another service.
    Their market share is overwhelming, to the point that it is almost impossible to avoid using them if you want to buy and sell used goods in this country.
    Listings just get far more exposure on Trade Me than they would elsewhere. Hell, many people have TM open in one of their browser tabs 24/7.
    To put it into perspective, eBay has 182 million members, of which less than half are in the US, so about 80-90 million US members out of a population of 327 million.
    That means that less than 30% of Americans are eBay members. Trade Me, on the other hand, has 3.7 million members out of a population of 4.9 million.
    Over 75% of the population in NZ are TM members. There is virtually no other website in the world that has that large a percentage of the population as members.
    Therefore, when you list something on Trade Me, it is visible to basically every adult in the country. On the other hand, gunstuff and gunbrokernz have maybe a few thousand members in total.
    I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that, but the fact is you just won't get the same exposure as you would on Trade Me. Period.

My point is that Trade Me is just a tool. I think we're better off trying to use it to our advantage than we are trying to discard it altogether.
    Feel free to disagree, but that's where I'm coming from.

Before you write off TM, bear in mind that you'll never be able to just hop on gunstuff or gunbrokernz and pick up a TV, smartphone, furniture, appliance, car, etc.
    As good as those websites are, they're ultimately one-trick-ponies. You can't replace a website that sells just about everything with one that sells a very narrow range of items.
    The anti-gun crowd would love for us to be forced off of all the popular platforms, just so our exposure is minimised and it's easier to portray us as a fringe group.
    Youtube and Facebook have been doing exactly that for years now. Voluntarily leaving those platforms is only going to help them and hurt us.
    We need to be seen and heard as widely as possible if we want to have any influence or credibility. The more online presence we have the better. TM is a part of that.
    Trade Me would barely notice if we all left their site, but most of us would be hurting to some degree if we were unable to buy or sell guns through their site.
    We have no leverage whatsoever in boycotting Trade Me, whereas we represent a much larger percentage of H&F's customers, and therefore our absence will be felt there.

Alright, rant over. Resume ridiculing my ideas.
    "An experienced shooter of limited skill and dangerous enthusiasm." -Hitman: Blood Money newspaper

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    Plus f**k Change.org.
    They are quite happy to host a petition banning ALL semi autos (ie shotguns and rimfires).

Change.org is the biggest waste of space around.
    The way they promote their useless petitions, they make seem like only a few more signatures (how many are actually real people?) are all that is required to magically make the request happen.
    I don't believe that Change.org is biased. They will allow just about any petition on their site, as long as it isn't libel or advocating violence, etc. They don't discriminate one way or the other.
    ThePetitionSite.com, operated by Care2, is biased in that they removed a pro-gun petition yet allow anti-gun petitions. I haven't seen any evidence of Change.org doing that.
    There was already a petition on Change.org for Trade Me to stop selling semi-automatics, and it got about 5,000 signatures.
    I'd like to see this one exceed that. Even if it doesn't change anything, it at least makes a point.
    We can't let anti-gun attacks go unanswered; whenever possible we need to provide the counter-argument for anything our opponents say.
    If someone looked on Change.org and saw just the anti-gun petition, it would be easy for them to assume that the public were all against semi-automatics and so on.
    On the other hand, if they saw both petitions and ours had just as many if not more signatures, they would have to give our viewpoint at least some credibility.
    At least that's the theory. We'll see how we go. These petitions have traditionally fared much better when directed at private companies than at governments.
    Cordite likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwigunguy View Post
    I don't believe that Change.org is biased. They will allow just about any petition on their site, as long as it isn't libel or advocating violence, etc. They don't discriminate one way or the other.
    ThePetitionSite.com, operated by Care2, is biased in that they removed a pro-gun petition yet allow anti-gun petitions. I haven't seen any evidence of Change.org doing that.
    There was already a petition on Change.org for Trade Me to stop selling semi-automatics, and it got about 5,000 signatures.
    I'd like to see this one exceed that. Even if it doesn't change anything, it at least makes a point.
    We can't let anti-gun attacks go unanswered; whenever possible we need to provide the counter-argument for anything our opponents say.
    If someone looked on Change.org and saw just the anti-gun petition, it would be easy for them to assume that the public were all against semi-automatics and so on.
    On the other hand, if they saw both petitions and ours had just as many if not more signatures, they would have to give our viewpoint at least some credibility.
    At least that's the theory. We'll see how we go. These petitions have traditionally fared much better when directed at private companies than at governments.
    Yes, I did looked at the petition and thought it was futile (like the old saying "wasted votes"), but I'll go and sign it out of principle.