Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Uplandstalker
  • 2 Post By SlimySquirrel
  • 1 Post By 10-Ring

Thread: bringing scopes back from the usa in your bags

bringing scopes back from the usa in your bags

have a mate off to the states soon to see family I have asked him if he can bring back 1 or 2 scopes for me which hes sweet with I can buy the scopes online with someone like optics planet and ship to a us address so he doesn't have to go shopping

is there anything I need to know about? (1 scope is $150usd and the other (if I get it) is $250usd if that makes a difference) or can he just chuck them in his baggage

Unless you're talking fancy US military stuff that might come under ITAR regulations, all you should have to worry about is GST coming back into NZ.

Just be wary of paying for things with a NZ credit card and attempting to have them delivered to a US address. A friend of mine was heading over to the US, bought a bunch of stuff and was going to send it to a local address for him to pick up from when he arrived. Optics Planet stopped the transaction with a myriad of "please explain" questions.

He basically just got the stuff shipped to NZ.

all good they are just basic Nikon hunting scopes a prostaff rimfire 3-9x40 and maybe a p-223 4-12x40
    yeah optics planet can be funny like that I remember before I had a debit card I used my mums credit card to order from them took quite a few emails to and fro before they charged the card and shipped the items

I've had a number of scopes done this was. I've never had a problem.
    scottrods likes this.

I bought three scopes back at Christmas in my carry-on in the original factory boxes. Not sure if I would risk putting them in checked baggage because it always appears my checked bags have been "looked through" by the U.S. TSA people - they leave a piece of paper so there is no denying they opened them.

Loaded factory ammo, brass and projectiles are ok in checked bags - they are required to be in the original factory packaging. There is a weight limit on loaded ammunition - somewhere around 3-5 kgs. You can check online.

Bought back a number of scopes over the last few years.

I bought back 3 last time with no issues.

DO NOT USE OPTICS PLANET .. they can be a PITA to deal with. Amazon will probably have what you need anyway without the Red Tape.
    scottrods and steven like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Try Camerland.
    Tikka7mm08 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiinSeattle View Post
    I bought three scopes back at Christmas in my carry-on in the original factory boxes. Not sure if I would risk putting them in checked baggage because it always appears my checked bags have been "looked through" by the U.S. TSA people - they leave a piece of paper so there is no denying they opened them.

Loaded factory ammo, brass and projectiles are ok in checked bags - they are required to be in the original factory packaging. There is a weight limit on loaded ammunition - somewhere around 3-5 kgs. You can check online.
    I thought if your read online it tells you that almost everything is ITAR restricted and you need an export permit, brass and projectiles definitely being on that list???

US residents can export up to 1000 rounds for personal use without a license.

Sent from my XT535

Got a friend bringing back a scope I bought 2nd hand in the US. I'm hoping there won't be any dramas with it in his checked baggage?

Quote Originally Posted by Banana View Post
    US residents can export up to 1000 rounds for personal use without a license.

Sent from my XT535
    Are non residents allowed to take brass and projectile out of country in luggage?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Are non residents allowed to take brass and projectile out of country in luggage?
    Not that I'm aware of.