Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 9 Post By gundoc
  • 6 Post By jpurdon
  • 2 Post By garyp
  • 1 Post By gundoc

Thread: BSA Bolt Jammed?

BSA Bolt Jammed?

I have recently acquired a BSA CF2 .270 and was sighting it in yesterday. I had no issues with the first 5 odd rounds but then after one shot, the bolt was jammed and is now stuck. When trying to lift the bolt, it has a small amount of wiggle but is not moving even with reasonable force. Any ideas for how to fix this?

Have pulled the rifle apart and sprayed some CRC but to no avail.
    TIA

anything abnormal on the fired cases?

Gone but not forgotten
    Does the rifle normally cock on closing or opening?
    If it cocks on opening, something might have broken/moved/jammed preventing the firing pin being cocked which may also prevent the bolt being rotated and opened. Sounds like a gunsmith job to me.

take it to gunsmith.....you will need to get it checked over even if you do manage to get it open.....you notice excessive recoil etc with the last round????
    and Im really really hoping answer to that is big fat NO.......
    BSA270 likes this.

The CF2 has a guide bar on the side of the bolt that is held in place by a clip around the bolt body. They can sometimes move forward under recoil and slide behind a locking lug. They have wee hole in them and you have to get a fine hook in there and pull the guide back before you can open the bolt. It is a prick of an idea but it does make the bolt travel smoother. The older Sakos had a similar system that gave similar problems.
    dogmatix, Makros, tetawa and 6 others like this.

For a picture of what the bolt looks like when open

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....c-heavy-41194/

Sorry if I am asking the obvious, but does the safety lock the bolt and is it on?. You don't have to confirm if that is the situation, I wouldn't.

Beyond that I would be picking the firing pin is jammed in place as Cigar suggests.
    Looking at the picture you would get a small amount of wiggle until the bolt starts to try to cam the firing pin back, then it would lock up.
    The next thing to consider after that is whether something is wedged in among the front locking lugs and preventing one of them from turning out.

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    The CF2 has a guide bar on the side of the bolt that is held in place by a clip around the bolt body. They can sometimes move forward under recoil and slide behind a locking lug. They have wee hole in them and you have to get a fine hook in there and pull the guide back before you can open the bolt. It is a prick of an idea but it does make the bolt travel smoother. The older Sakos had a similar system that gave similar problems.
    Sorry I didn't see this until after I posted my 2c worth on the subject.

Cheers for the input guys. @gundoc was spot on with the bolt guides. Had an issue with it when I had the guide rotated to the bolt handle side. Changed it to the inside thinking it would solve it but the recoil of the shot must have pushed it back, blocking the bolt. Used a screwdriver to push it forward and bolt came up

I had this happen when a case head separated. Gave me a big fright. What I did was using a plastic hammer I hammered the bolt open and most of the case was left in the chamber. I have a spare extractor here if the worse happens. Good luck.
    BSA270 and csmiffy like this.

Banned
    I have a spare CF2 action here that you can look at to see how it operates. I cant imagine how the firing pin would get stuck, the firing pin and striker are two separate parts.

Quote Originally Posted by jpurdon View Post
    . I had no issues with the first 5 odd rounds but then after one shot, the bolt was jammed and is now stuck.
    good to hear you got it open.... curious as to whether you were using factory ammo or reloads?

Back to this one gents. So as above, the bolt guide on my BSA CF2 once got knocked back with some recoil and caused the bolt to jam. I ended up being able to push it back in place with a screw driver to allow the bolt to open. I remember reading something online about getting a small hole drilled in the bold guide and adding a pin to keep it in place? Cant find the article online anywhere.

Anyone able to comment from experience as to whether this can be fixed? Or am I best to just take it to a gun smith here in Chch? Gunsmith recommendations would be great as well.
    Not looking to spend too much to get it up to speed because I just want to sell it
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit ......... wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Caretaker
    I have pinned the bolt on these before

Annoying when they jam up

Was on a friends 270 as well
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Is the CF2 push feed or controlled feed?. I had a similar incident with a Parker Hale and it was my fault by not putting the round into the mag properly before loading and the extractor was jammed behind the rim and not in front of it. I gently used a rubber mallet and got the bolt open, and a lesson learnt about controlled feed actions.

Push feed.
    jpurdon likes this.